[Day 24 - EA] That's so Raven (Closed)

Nanzi

Re: [Day 24 - EA] That's so Raven (Closed)

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:31 pm

That gave him pause and he spent a long moment taking a drink of tea. He finally responded, “It is the best of us that can recognize when we have fallen short.”

“Your actions in choosing the descent team has vexed Nanzi, assuredly a decision had to be made but one that espouses the freedom of others to choose and then choosing the fate of others has given Nanzi doubt into what exactly your philosophy is or if there are moments where one must decide the fate of others and if so how does that differ from the path that Nanzi already pursues?”
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 pm

"Great men are subject to mistakes, just like the rest of us. We cannot fault them for that, for it is the way in which they allow those mistakes to define their further actions that speaks the loudest."

He sighed briefly. "On the surface yes, I can see the cause for confusion, but I chose nothing, merely identified those we needed. History likely won't bear out the distinction, I'm afraid. The technique I used," he pointed to his eyes, "is similar, I believe, to the method by which Jigoku locates and assaults the flaws within the mortal soul. I merely looked into those before me, pushed against their souls, their weaknesses, and selected those who I could not bend beneath my gaze. They brought themselves to that place through their actions and behaviors. I am only uniquely qualified to see it, nothing more."
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 pm

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Of course. With our past, you'd know a great deal about my tastes, yes?

I wonder how long these mortals can keep up that pace? So, what is your strategy this time? Sheer numbers? You mentioned more than one Thunder.
Ugh, one time and you never shut up about it, I swear your new pet has made it worse. Damn the Ogres and damn their beer...

There was a mocking caw, which Shinsei moved to shush.

Do you really expectme to reveal my plans this early on? Surely you know me better than that by now. But know this: the rules are changing rapidly. Hope you can keep up, old-timer.
Crow + Birb + Mischievous

Played by GM Bakuriel

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 am

“Agreed it will be difficult for future generations to see the difference between Shinsei’s chosen, and those that Chose themselves through their actions under Shinsei’s gaze. It is this unique quality that Nanzi is trying to decipher but perhaps it is just a riddle that is not for Nanzi to solve. He would be the first to admit that philosophy and scholarship are not his strong points.”

He closed his eyes to collect his thoughts on the matter. He was seeing new variations on what he thought he knew which made the conversation perhaps more fruitful than the first but still the pieces that didn’t fit neatly into his worldview served to give him reservation.

“You will not live forever, neither of us will, how do we ensure that future generations are prepared for the battles to come. More importantly can the cycle be broken? Or is the wheel eternal?”

Nanzi added, “Unless you have divined the secret of immortality in this dying world.”
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Canary

Post by Canary » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 am

Crow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 pm
Ugh, one time and you never shut up about it, I swear your new pet has made it worse. Damn the Ogres and damnn their beer...

There was a mocking caw, which Shinsei moved to shush.

Do you really expectme to reveal my plans this early on? Surely you know me better than that by now. But know this: the rules are changing rapidly. Hope you can keep up, old-timer.
Oh please. You didn't drink enough to blame it on that. Mortals and their self-deception, I suppose. Though you are a bit more than merely that now, aren't you? I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Raven shook its feathers and preened a moment.

It was worth a try. You've grown more prideful. I'd say it's a good look, but you would take that as an insult. But they are changing at that. For both of us.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 am

Shinsei's eyes sparkled at that. "Immortality? That would be something indeed, would it not? But, even if I had discovered such a thing, I would not hedge my bets solely into myself. I intend to see if the technique can be taught to others. If I can learn it, why should only I have access?"

Granted the amount of time and vitality one needed to acquire such a technique did preclude almost everyone else, but he would still try.

"Greater minds than I will be the ones to decide if the cycle can be broken, or if it is a necessary fact of our existence. After all, what is good without the evil to sharpen its focus? Both are, regrettably, necessary."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:14 am

Canary wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 am

Oh please. You didn't drink enough to blame it on that. Mortals and their self-deception, I suppose. Though you are a bit more than merely that now, aren't you? I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Raven shook its feathers and preened a moment.

It was worth a try. You've grown more prideful. I'd say it's a good look, but you would take that as an insult. But they are changing at that. For both of us.
I admit you can be a pretty nice guy, when you're not being an ass. Maybe it wasn't entirely the drink, but don't think that means you can escape what's coming for you.

Karasu waited until Shinsei's quip about immortality, as if he knew it was coming.

Things are about to get very interesting indeed...

Played by GM Bakuriel

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 am

“An existence defined by our conflict with the forces of Jigoku is a cruel existence. What if conflict only beget more conflict and instead, we find balance between the realm of mortals, Heaven, and Corruption? Or is there no middle ground to be found?” he said before taking another sip.

“When Nanzi finds immortality, he would be selective in who he shared such knowledge with. That is the difference between us, not everyone deserves greatness. That is the lesson that Nanzi has taken from the Thunders, from his understanding of the Cycles, and your words.”

With a clack, his fan opened, and he said from behind it, “Greatness is not universal, not all were meant to be samurai.”

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:28 am

Shinsei's smile grew thin, having expected something like this to come up at some point.

"It is true that not all can be great, for if everyone is, what then does the term mean? But while not everyone can be great, anyone is capable. On that, I believe, we will never agree, and I have come to accept this. I may one day live in your world, Nanzi-sama, but I will never be one with it. You and your samurai are but a piece of a larger whole, and as great as one thinks they may be, there is always something greater still."

He finished the tea.

"I hope, sincerely, that when you find the thing greater than your samurai, you don't come to regret where you've chosen to plant your roots."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 am

Crow wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:14 am
I admit you can be a pretty nice guy, when you're not being an ass. Maybe it wasn't entirely the drink, but don't think that means you can escape what's coming for you.

Karasu waited until Shinsei's quip about immortality, as if he knew it was coming.

Things are about to get very interesting indeed...
I'm am flying toward it eagerly. Ningen-do hasn't always won these little scuffles. Your winning streak will break soon enough. Even if I'm killed, I will only return to Jigoku and then return to ruffle those lovely feathers once more.

It looked toward Nanzi after he spoke. Truly a man after my own heart. Perhaps we could find some middle ground?

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:36 am

Canary wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 am

I'm am flying toward it eagerly. Ningen-do hasn't always won these little scuffles. Your winning streak will break soon enough. Even if I'm killed, I will only return to Jigoku and then return to ruffle those lovely feathers once more.

It looked toward Nanzi after he spoke. Truly a man after my own heart. Perhaps we could find some middle ground?
No, we haven't always won, but we have made it difficult for you every time. I imagine it must be frustrating...

Karasu preened some more, slowly this time.

Not getting the things you want handed to you. I'll give you this, you've chosen well. He will make this challenging. But there's something you should know about mine.

The crow straightened up, and fixed the raven with a level gaze.

Aside from that gaze of his, I've taught him precisely nothing. He found the riddles himself, long before I knew he existed. And if he can...

Played by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 am

Crow wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:36 am
Aside from that gaze of his, I've taught him precisely nothing. He found the riddles himself, long before I knew he existed. And if he can...
He won't have the chance, the Raven snapped in response.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 am

"Regret is a sin, Shinsei-san. Nanzi did not choose to become samurai because he was waiting for a better opportunity. He is samurai and his children and their children," he said confidently.

"A person without roots can always find what they think is a better garden. A person with roots who has chosen their plot to defend can turn that garden into a paradise. Already the tribes dwindle, suffering the thousand cuts of progress. The Empire will rise, and if it takes all the blood and ambition Nanzi can muster it will dominate the region."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 am

"It likely will, to some degree, but not wholly on Nanzi's terms. Never forget that as a samurai he is vassal to his lord, just as those samurai he commands are vassal to him. It is the line of Shiba who decide what shape the empire will take, not the line of Nanzi."

Shinsei bowed, and turned to make his leave. It was a slightly different conversation than they'd had before, but it would invariably lead to the same place.

"I do hope that whatever path you forge, you don't find your own regret in the irons that you've wrought."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:37 am

Canary wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 am

He won't have the chance, the Raven snapped in response.
There was a sense of Karasu laughing at Hadananzi, a deep and mirthful sound.

Maybe he won't, but someone... time isn't on your side, friend. Enjoy whatever it is you're planning to do to your shiny one. It won't last.

Played by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:42 am

Crow wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:37 am
There was a sense of Karasu laughing at Hadananzi, a deep and mirthful sound.

Maybe he won't, but someone... time isn't on your side, friend. Enjoy whatever it is you're planning to do to your shiny one. It won't last.
Time is always on my side, foolish one.

His feathers ruffled and he addressed Nanzi.

I see why you call him charlatan.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:50 am

Maybe if Shiba actually did something, he considered darkly. Nanzi chuckled and said, “Is it? There are many below him that have already had far lasting impacts than simply sitting on the throne? All glory to Shiba-dono but we both know that the fate of the Empire is not solely in his hands.”

Nanzi rose to his feet with grace closing the fan and added, “Nanzi has no regrets, none that chain him to the past like a sinking stone. He is confident that the future of his Family and the Empire will be bright.”

“Nanzi prays your future shines as well,” he offered with a bow. Mentally he added, Nanzi will never understand his appeal; simple beings like his empty promises. They have no real understanding of the sacrifices that will have to be made, dear friend.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:54 am

Shinsei bowed as well and smiled that way he liked to do at times. "Yes, the empire as a whole will be shaped by all the hands which labor within it, not just yours. I shall find it very interesting to see the results."

And with that, Shinsei and his companion made their way from the room.

/exit

Run by GM Bakuriel

Return to “Guest Rooms”