This is a nice hotel! (D1, EM)

Ongaku no Ryoko

This is a nice hotel! (D1, EM)

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Tue May 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Ryoko was directed to her room by an extremely disturbed looking Seidou, who was not very subtle in his decision to keep a knife in hand while guiding the young woman and her drummer, a hunched figure who still loomed over them both.

Seemingly not bothered by his wariness, Ryoko wandered into the cramped stone room with a big smile, turning to thank the man, but he had already left.

Huh.

They sure were brusque, these Seidou.

Setting down her pack, she checked her Morin Khuuru, to make it wasn't damage, and then brushed off her woven garments. Elaborate patterns woven into the fabric in white and red and orange, they were lovely for festivals, but also showed dust from the road, and these locals didn't seem to share her festive spirit.

Patting Tago on the shoulder, she told him, gently, "I know it's been a long walk, big guy... go ahead and get a nap. I'll see to whatever else needs doing, ok?"

As the cloaked figure nodded and settled down in the corner, pulling down his wide straw hat, she stretched, and glanced out the tiny slit window.

What an adventure this would be!
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Shinjo Miuna

Re: This is a nice hotel! (D1, EM)

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 12:03 am

Miuna was just finishing getting settled in their room, when she noticed a striking figure pass by her open door. She tugged on her sister's sleeve to get her attention, and began gesticulating. "Who was that? She was so beautiful! Were those horns?! How interesting! Could I go and say hello?"

Aono rubbed the bridge of her nose, and then rubbed her eyes. She looked down at her sister and returned her hand gestures. "Miuna. It is far too early in the morning to be this... energetic." But she sighed, lamenting, and then spoke. "Fine, but let's make it quick, there is much to do today." Miuna clapped her hands and, before her sister could change her mind, dashed out the door.

She walked along the hall until she found the other woman. Aono followed at a much less enthusiastic pace. Miuna knocked to call attention to herself.
Last edited by Shinjo Miuna on Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 am

Ryoko turned, baffled, and then opened the door. "Shhh, he's trying to sleep."

That was a very helpful introduction, obviously.

"Did you need anything... ummm... miss?"

Peeking around the door, she made an odd sight, pale hair and red eyes... perhaps she looked baleful. Apart from that quizzical expression and tomboyish alto voice which seemed incapable of menace.
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 4:42 am

Miuna watched as the young woman hurriedly closed and then peeked out from behind the door. Aono stood to the side, and when Miuna looked at her she mouthed "Someone is asleep in there." Miuna turned scarlet, hands fluttering about nervously as she tried to apologize. She bowed deeply twice, not very familiar with any customs beside her own. "Tell her I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to disturb."

Aono then addressed the horned woman. "My sister apologizes. We did not intend to wake you. She saw you pass by and wanted to make your acquaintance." She bowed her head. "I am Shinjo Aono, and this is my sister, Miuna. Please forgive us the intrusion, Miuna often acts without thought when she is excited. She thinks you are very beautiful and wished to know more about you."

Miuna, still flushed, nodded vigorously. She beamed up at the other woman, hoping she did not cause too much offense after only just meeting.
Last edited by Shinjo Miuna on Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 4:47 am

Beautiful?

That was unexpected.

Flushing a little, Ryoko beamed, and stepped out, closing the door behind her. "I appreciate that. She's very kind. I'm Ongaku no Ryoko - of the Takemori tribe."

She had scooped up an instrument as she left, a wooden thing with strings and a curved wood bow.

"Are you here for the big journey too?"

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 am

Miuna nodded again, and Aono spoke. "Well met, Ongaku no Ryoko - of the Takemori tribe. My, that is beautiful, though it is quite a mouthful." She smiled softly. "Might there be something shorter to call you by? Perhaps simply Ryoko? We are indeed here for the journey to the South."

Miuna noticed the wooden instrument and clasped her hands together excitedly, before turning to Aono and practically shouting with her hands, "Ask her to play! She's obviously a musician, I want to see her play!"

Aono chuckled. "My sister would like to know if you might play us a tune? What sort of instrument is that? I've never seen one before. You're more than welcome to visit our room while your companion rests. Only if you wish, though, we wouldn't want to impose any more than we already have. If you are busy, we will gladly let you be on your way."

Miuna's green eyes sparkled, how she loved a performance!
Last edited by Shinjo Miuna on Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 am

"Ah... of course. I'd be glad to play."

She was surprised, but certainly gratified by the offer.

"Ryoko is fine, of course."

Waiting for them to lead the way, she added, "This is an instrument of my people - it is called the Morin Khuuru, we've carried it on our travels for generations. This one belonged to my mother, once upon a time."

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 7:26 am

Miuna excitedly hurried to her room, leaving the others to trail behind her.
Aono chuckled. "My, she's very excited. This way, if you please." She lead them down the hall and into their room. Miuna was already seated on the floor, legs crossed and a huge grin plastered across her face. Aono gestured to the bed or singular chair in the room. "Please sit anywhere you find comfortable."
Last edited by Shinjo Miuna on Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 7:36 am

Ryoko nodded, seemingly quite pleased by the interest, though she wasn't sure why the woman didn't just... speak for herself. Perhaps she was mute, like Tago?

Settling in the chair, she placed the instrument between her knees, left hand grasping the neck of the instrument and strings, right hand bringing the bow down to rest against the base.

"Tell me, Shinjo Miuna, what sort of song would you like to hear?"

Her voice had a faux solemnity, a ritual tone undermined by tomboyish huskiness and obvious amusement.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 am

Miuna grinned sheepishly and signed, "I can't actually hear the music, but would love to see you play anyway."

Aono sighed, cursing rising from bed so early today. "It's early, forgive me. Normally I would have mentioned it right away but it seems my brain is still partially asleep. Miuna was born without hearing. Even though she cannot hear you play, she enjoys watching performances and with some instruments she can even feel the beat of the song."

Miuna nodded. "Just because I can't hear it, doesn't mean I can't *feel* it."

Aono nodded. "So she may not be able to hear your music, but she can feel it. I'm also looking forward to your performance. Would you play us something from your homelands? Perhaps, something your mother taught you?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 8:20 am

That brought a bemused expression, but she wouldn't argue against someone feeling music - after all, she felt it when she got caught up in the tune.

"I never met my mother - but my caravan has a song for those who wander like she does... I'll perform that one for you."

Setting the bow to string, humming soulfully, she began her song. The music reverberated in the small space, setting a humming resonance in the stone, causing hair to stand up, a slight shiver down the spine.

The song carried the listener along long roads, mournful paths walked alone. Melancholy and dreams of home lingered, and under it all a yearning for those left behind. Yet it could not help but end, unresolved, fading away without resolution, as the journey without destination always did - wishing to retrace steps to places that no longer were.

As she played, her face seemed alight with the moment, her attention and gaze utterly past her audience, without any seeming awareness of her location or reception now.

When she had finished, she exhaled gently, and glanced between the sisters. "Well, was it to your liking?"

---
Clear, wordless singing to take the place of piano, 27: 2 raises for quality https://orokos.com/roll/807924
Morin Khuuru playing, 55: 3 raises for quality https://orokos.com/roll/807922

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 am

The moment the song began, Miuna could see how connected Ryoko was to the music. Watching the young woman, the skin at the back of her neck began to prickle and she felt the vibrations of each note within her chest. She was overwhelmed with the sadness and longing conveyed in the song. Watching her body language she could tell Ryoko was completely lost inside the music and it was breathtaking to witness. It wasn't until the performance had ended that she realized her cheeks were wet. She wiped them and stood up, clapping softly. She looked at her sister, quickly signing. "That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever been privileged to witness. Ryoko, that was magnificent. You have such talent. I am lucky to have met you." Aono repeated the translation directly for Ryoko. Then spoke for herself. "Shes right. It was a very touching performance. I'll not soon forget it. Thank you very much for sharing it with us." She smiled softly, the melancholic atmosphere of the song lingering within the room.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 11:11 am

Ryoko beamed, and added, softly, "I'm glad you think so. It is my privilege and pleasure to share our songs. It is my... purpose."

A little seated bow, and then she set down the instrument. "How about you? What purpose does your tribe give to you?"

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Aono pondered Ryoko's words for a moment before answering. "I used to be unsure of what my purpose in life was. But as Miuna grew, I felt it my duty to nurture and protect her. She has grown into a skilled healer, blessed with the gifts of compassion and deep empathy. Alas, not everyone is as kind or accommodating of the fact that she navigates this world without the use of her ears. So. My purpose is to help her fulfill her purpose. And she has always considered her purpose to be of service to others. It is why we bear the Shinjo name, as we resonate with her teachings and do our best to emulate her values. You do your tribe proud by sharing their music and their stories. You are the first of your tribe that we have met, and it has been an enlightening and enriching experience."

Miuna simply nodded in agreement. Then turned to her sister and asked, "What's with those horns though? Is she some sort of hybrid or something? Was it a curse of some kind? They look so cool! I want to touch them, ask her if I can!"

Aono blanched but covered it pretty well. Instead of conveying what her sister actually said, she clears her throat and says, "Miuna is rather curious about the, um, horns that adorn your head? I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I, too, am quite curious. Where do they come from? And you said you never knew your mother, how is that? We lost our mother very young, so I can sympathize. Forgive us for prying, and of course you do not have to share anything you do not wish to." She bowed her head a bit in apology.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 pm

That brought a surprised look, and she asked, "Are there no ogres where you come from?"

Glancing between the women, she added, "My mother left me with the tribe after I was born - I'm told she couldn't be around me - I reminded her of my father, who was murdered by his village when they found out he intended to marry an ogre woman."

A soft sigh. "I wish I'd met them, but the tribe raised me, I spent time with the elders and my aunts and uncles... they were kind." With a distant, melancholic smile, she added, "I do wonder what my mother would think if she saw me now... but I can only hope she has found peace, wherever she settled, after leaving the caravan."

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 am

Aono shook her head. "We have heard many stories but have never encountered an ogre before. I am sorry to hear of your father. And that you grew up without your mother. This world can be so cruel and senseless." Both she and Miuna knew that very well and they both looked solemn.

Miuna piped up after a prolonged moment of silence. She nudged Aono, signing while looking at Ryoko. Aono translated, "I think your mother would be proud of the woman you've become. I think you bring honor to your family and tribe. I admire your strength and the resolve it must take to continue to grow and smile in the face of sadness and loss. You're an amazing person and I'd like to be your friend." Miuna's smile was broad and genuine.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 am

Ryoko smiled, "Well, that's sweet, but I'm not sure I deserve all that - I didn't really know them, after all. It's hard to mourn what you don't know. I'd be happy to be your friend, though."

Running one hand along the neck of the morin khuuru, she added, thoughtfully, "Our tribe try to take care of our own, but sometimes we see trouble and violence as we travel. In some ways I've been blessed - we keep the peace among our own, and the ogres do a good job of scaring away bandits."

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 pm

"There can still be an ache over what might have been. I know that too well." Aono smiled at the half ogre. "We are fortunate to still have our father. And each other." She smiled at her sister then. "I imagine they see many dangers and troubles in their travels. It seems you are blessed, indeed." She thought for a moment about their own tribe. "We're very blessed to be part of our tribe. We in particular focus on the care of others. We love the kami Shinjo deeply and try hard to emulate her values." She nodded thoughtfully.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 am

"This is true - so... shinjo is one of those spirits... what is she like?"

Ryoko had never met a spirit in person.

"Is she wise and powerful?"

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Fri May 22, 2020 2:58 am

"She is compassionate, kind, curious. And yes, she is very wise and in turn very powerful." Aono smiled.

"Don't forget beautiful," Miuna chimed in, hands and heart aflutter. Now, that's a strange and welcome feeling, she thought.

Aono laughed. "Yes, and we cannot forget that she is very beautiful. Otherworldly," she added thoughtfully. "Is your tribe a small one? Have they chosen to follow any of the kami or do you keep to yourselves?" Here, she struggled a bit. She had knowledge of other tribes and families but knew nothing of the Takemori.

Return to “Guest Rooms”