[D1 EA] Entertainment for the Masses

Miyako

Re: [D1 EA] Entertainment for the Masses

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 am

"An acquired taste, wine. The right berry and herb concoction make for a spicy yet warm taste - left too long, too much or too little of this or that herb, and... yuck. And not every berry is good for it: my dear mother showed me once how this one berry that grows in our forest, sweet as can be eaten fresh off the bush and even some time thereafter when wrapped in bushleaf, cannot turn out anything but horrible when one tries to make it into wine. I think quite a number of people in our village have tried - and absolutely failed - in just about every combination of herb and spice we can scrounge up to make it drinkable," Miyako stated of Chinsei berry-wines. It was likely she too would not drink much on the actual journey, but she was still in town! And that thing he mentioned intrigued.

"What is this that you had? And where might one find some in this city if one wished to try some of it?"
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 am

"I just got it from a trader that made their home in the farmlands. I don't remember which house it was anymore though. I'd have to go looking. Some people mentioned it was made in the brewery when I asked though, so it might be available there."
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 6:43 am

"A brewery? Well, that shouldn't be too hard to find, right? I imagine just about anyone that lives here could point me in the right direction. But I will have to check it out and try it for myself - wonder what kind of herbs they put into a drink like that," Miyako said with a nod.

"You mentioned that you wander around quite a bit. Anything in particular that you seek to find in your journey? And where is it that you came from before arriving here in the city?" she inquired.
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 am

Mizuku takes a cake and eats. Her eyes almost shine as she watches the pair perform. She is suddenly very happy she decided to join in on this trip. Not only would she be (hopefully) helpful, but she would also get to experience things like this. Her head sways back and forth as she eats the delicious cake and enjoys the music. When they stop she smiles and nods her head in thanks for the lovely tune, and another nod to the man in blue for the delicious cake. Definitely a good way to begin her journey.
Jin Muzuku - "Bring them here, I'll heal em' "

Ki-Rin * Shugenja * Jin Family * Status 1 * Glory 2 * Reputation 1

Don't mind Faru, he's my loyal pet falcon

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 am

Miyako wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 am
"A pleasure to meet you, Yoshitsune Nori," she greeted the Crab, nodding her head in response to their bow. "Did you make these cakes yourself? They are quite delicious, I must say again: nothing like fresh baked goodness to fill the belly. I hope you will be bringing many more of these along for the journey!"
"Indeed I did make them," Nori said, beaming at the praise. "I do plan to pack quite a few of these for the journey, since they work well as traveler's fare. Though I must say, they always taste the best when fresh baked from the kitchen."
Taochusu wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 am
"I just got it from a trader that made their home in the farmlands. I don't remember which house it was anymore though. I'd have to go looking. Some people mentioned it was made in the brewery when I asked though, so it might be available there."
"The brewery, eh?" the Crab pondered thoughtfully. "I'll have to visit it. I think we should get some beer for the expedition. It's safer to drink than stale water, you know."
Jin Mizuku wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 am
Her head sways back and forth as she eats the delicious cake and enjoys the music. When they stop she smiles and nods her head in thanks for the lovely tune, and another nod to the man in blue for the delicious cake.
"Have another if you like," Nori invited. "Enjoy them while we're here; once we're on the road, we'll probably be on rations."
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Fire • Caravan Guard • Cook • Medicine Man
Status 1.0 • Glory 2.0 • Reputation: As Expected
carries: scroll satchel, cook pot, yarrow sticks, tetsubo, flute

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 am

Yoshitsune Nori wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 am
"Indeed I did make them," Nori said, beaming at the praise. "I do plan to pack quite a few of these for the journey, since they work well as traveler's fare. Though I must say, they always taste the best when fresh baked from the kitchen."
"Perfect! Always good when they last more than a day or so: sometimes you just end up with too many and there's no way they'll last if you have to eat them all yourself. Did you put sweet honey or something else in these? Or is that a chef's secret ingredient that they won't tell? I thought I tasted something quite interesting in these but I can't quite put my finger on it..." Miyako responded kindly on the Crab's dish. "In any case, though, glad to know there's more where that came from!"

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Wed May 20, 2020 11:06 am

Yoshitsune Nori wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 am
"Have another if you like," Nori invited. "Enjoy them while we're here; once we're on the road, we'll probably be on rations."
Mizuku nods her head and grabs one more, munching on about half of it as she listens to the chef's conversation, interested in the answer he gives to the lady called Miyako. She wraps the other half up in a cloth to save for Faru who was in her guest room.
Jin Muzuku - "Bring them here, I'll heal em' "

Ki-Rin * Shugenja * Jin Family * Status 1 * Glory 2 * Reputation 1

Don't mind Faru, he's my loyal pet falcon

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Wed May 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Miyako wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 am
"Did you put sweet honey or something else in these? Or is that a chef's secret ingredient that they won't tell? I thought I tasted something quite interesting in these but I can't quite put my finger on it..."
"There is a touch of honey, and some other herbs for flavor," the cook admitted with a smile. "The sweetness is good for energy, useful for a traveler on the road with a heavy pack. Your sense of taste is very discerning. Have you some skill in these arts, yourself?"

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Wed May 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Taouchusu sets his guqin aside and picks up the cake that he had set down while he was playing. When he eats it it basically just disappears in one bite. "These are really good," he says as a few crumbs fall from his mouth as he chews, but he picks them out of his lap to make sure none of it goes to waste.

"Honey is great, but every time I've gotten some I was stung like 20 times. Not a frequent treat for me."
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Miyako shook her head. "I can char things over an open flame and throw some greens together in a bowl... that's about the extent of my cooking. But I've helped my family forage for herbs for years now and I think I've gotten a small taste of things enough times to learn what is bitter, what is sweet, what is better left whole versus ground to paste or chopped..."

She chuckled lightly at Taochusu's misfortunes with gathering honey. "That's why you're supposed to knock the hive out of the tree from a distance and wait them out! Or approach with a large enough stick alight in flame: gently wave it around a bit and the smoke wards them off, at least for as much time as it takes to grab what you can and run. Helps if the stick is long enough that you don't get the smoke in your eyes and the like, but then it also becomes a bit unwieldy, something you probably don't want when it comes to bees."

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Wed May 20, 2020 11:01 pm

"My cooking skills are also not so good as this either," he agrees with Miyako. "Mostly make bone broth and cook wild vegetables and meat in it. I really like bird meat after it has been cooked in deer broth."

"And I'll keep that in mind for the bees. It's mostly just an annoyance at this point though. You get stung enough and you get over it."
Wanderer • Large

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 pm

"Ahh! Duck in deer broth can be very good, especially with scallions and tart berries," Nori nodded in agreement. "Sadly, we may not be able to bring much in the way of duck or deer on this expedition; it won't keep fresh for very long on the trail, I'm afraid, unless dried out. I'm hoping the food that I and the others are preparing will stay good for longer; as I understand it, there's not much game where we're going - not that can be eaten, at any rate."

“Packing for the Expedition” event rolls (coordinating provisions in the kitchen):
Day 1 EA Cast Mental Quickness FIRE/rank +affinity TN15: 7d10o10k4 55
Day 1 EA What do we need? with 2 called raises, INT/Commerce +Mental Quickness TN30: 8d10o10k7 52 3 provision points
Day 1 EA Cast Benten's Touch AIR/Rank TN15: 5d10o10k3 23
Day 1 EA Organizing the Effort AWA/Courtier +Benten's Touch TN20: 5d10o10k4+3 42 1 provision point

Return to “Meeting and Dining Hall”