What is Jigoku and How Do We Fight It? [Day 1]

Kyosei of the Isawa

Re: What is Jigoku and How Do We Fight It? [Day 1]

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed May 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Kyosei notes Jin's mouth, but says nothing. Instead, he looks at the others. "A gift would be wise, but be careful that it is perceived as a gift for their favor, not pity for their lost."
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Wed May 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Shinsei wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:31 am
Finally, to Reiko, a surprised tilt of the head. "Truly? You can hear his voice? I came on word of mouth that there was one seeking to reclaim the lost but knew not how this knowledge came about. In what way are you able to connect so strongly?"
"We have a...connection" Reiko closed her eyes, putting her hand over her heart "I can hear him, feel him. I was granted a vision of what is to come if we fail, and have been blessed with the chance to walk through the world of dreams to see him."

She fell silent as the conversation continued, she quietly called upon the blessings of the blood. Blood. Names. Magic. She opened her eyes.

"The magic of the Nezumi does put importance on name, but name is important for other things as well. A name defines someone, and can be used in many ways. We should be careful about names as we draw closer to the portal that Fu Leng has fallen through."

There was another pause.

"However, this is the same for our magic. Blood, our avenue of calling upon magic, is tempting for those on the other side. Twisted versions of our own spirits, who would take the blood offerings and in turn try to turn it and us to its side. I suspect as we draw closer, magic will become more difficult, and the temptation to call upon what looks like a helpful element will become more and more tempting."

She reached into her robe, taking out a necklace with a finger of Jade on.

"From my studies, a rock of this size would protect one person from the effects of the portals corruption for around seven days, but only if it is unwanted and rejected. If one were to accept these corrupted elements instead, it would offer little protection."

She gazed around the room as best she could, looking at each fuzzy shape one at a time.

"It is extremely important to pass this information on to those who can call upon the elements, like we can. The Nezumis magic is unaffected by this I believe because it does not use blood, but I don't believe a human can learn to control the name like a Nezumi can. If it is possible though, I would welcome the chance to study it."

She looked to the others again, adding "it may be wise to share the spell of protection among everyone who can cast it as well."

(ooc - D1 EE Jigoku event. Casting Mental Quickness. TN15: 6d10o10k3 21
D1 EE Jigoku event. Spellcraft/int. TN30. Mental Quickness+Fire kamis blessing+void: 10d10o10k9 78 - passed)
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Shinjo nodded as she listened to Reiko's extremely thorough assessment. Finally, she mused, "Mm... I wonder... if that's why our brother doesn't like using his real name."

She looked to the man in the hood. "Shinsei-san... A connection so strong that it lets Reiko-san see him in dreams... Do you think we can potentially use that? I don't know much about magic, but it seems logical enough."
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Honor: 10.0, Status: 9.0, Glory: 10.0

Run by GM Canary

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 pm

[6/6 successes, 0/3 Failures, 10 total raises achieved: Complete Success! 20 Purity Points Gained]

[This event is now open RP]
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed May 20, 2020 10:14 pm

Shinsei tilted his head to the side as the crow chittered into his ear, then turned to regard Shinjo quietly. "It appears to me that we're already using that connection to our advantage, heading out on this expedition in the first place. I'm certain we can find a way to use it further." He nodded briefly in Reiko's direction. "So long as she maintains contact, the process of turning your brother will be impaired, as he will not be suffering Jigoku's horrors alone. That alone is significant."
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Jin gives a solemn nod at the strange man's words, "Meaningful, caring contact, no matter how brief, can make a world of difference. That I can attest to." He offers a smile between Shinjo and Reiko, "Your brother is lucky to have Reiko and I am sure she inspires him to fight all the harder even when their contact is less direct."
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Saruko had been silently watching and listening to the words of the scholars and priests. She had an understanding of the realms as well, but nowhere near what they had been talking about.

At least she had been wise to procure some jade herself... even if she had had to spread out her meager resources for the other Dragons.

Still, she had questions, but for once she waited to try to find the right time to step into a conversation with people so much smarter than herself.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Thu May 21, 2020 1:25 am

"Would... having more Jade make a difference?"
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 am

"We could possess all of the jade, every last bit in Ningen-do, and it would certainly help our cause, but without strong hearts to wield it and strong backs to carry it, we would be no better off. Make do with what you have, keep an eye out for more, but do not let it cloud your thoughts. In this, it is just another tool to aid us."

The hooded man turned his gaze to those who had gathered about, but were not directly part of his brief council, and settled on Saruko.

"Ah, Shirayuki! You wish to impart your wisdom?" A hand was held out to her in a welcoming gesture.

Run by GM Bakuriel

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 am

She took the words he said to heart. In the end, jade was simply another tool - one they couldn't rely on to be a miracle-catch-all for them.

"Friend Shinsei," she bowed to the little man. "I was... wondering. I know only a little of the realms beyond through my own experience, nowhere near as much as the wise ones in this council. But how dangerous is it to try to reach Jigoku though other means? Would that be as dangerous as walking closer to our goal?"
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 21, 2020 5:07 am

"More dangerous by leagues, young enlightened one. Reiko is, I suspect, capable of brief conversations by reaching through Yume-do, and even that connection erodes swiftly when pressed beneath the realm of evil. Considering only the threat of Jigoku itself, and not those of the realms leading to it, trying to reach it from a neighboring realm would be to cut a fresh wound like the one now in our world and step through to parts unknown. You could end up right beside the fallen one, or end up marching as far as we will soon do just to reach him, and from there..." He shrugged. "How would you extract him? Finding your way back would be just as treacherous, and climbing from the hole he created without an anchor would be unwise."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 am

She shook her head. "Nothing of the sort... I hope. I don't have the same power or connection that Reiko does," a respectful nod to her friend (which the blurry-eyed seer probably didn't see), "but I am able to... see into other Realms. As it were. My spirit leaves my body for a few moments, and passes through the veils between the realms without damage to them."

"I've not yet attempted to reach Jigoku in such a way, mostly because I know I would not be able to bring anyone out of it. And because I worry of the dangers of that realm, as I understand it is the opposite of Tengoku in many ways."

Theme 2Profile

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 21, 2020 5:29 am

Shinsei was silent for a moment, thinking.

"Shirayuki, would you dive naked into the Seidou River in the heart of winter?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 am

"Well, no..." she shifted her weight between her feet, thinking it might've been better to not speak at all perhaps.

Theme 2Profile

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 21, 2020 5:57 am

Shinsei sighed softly. "I perhaps was too harsh in my response, Shirayuki. Know that it is out of concern, not anger. To enter Jigoku in spirit alone is to do just that, leaving behind the insulation of your body and diving into a river of darkness. The trappings of mortality are... uniquely capable of resisting the will of Jigoku. Losing you to such an endeavor would be significant."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jin

Post by Jin » Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 am

"So will, and jade, shall be our armor then." He looks to Kyosei with a wry grin, "I suddenly wish I had pushed for gifts during my visits but my will, at least, is strong and my mind is set on our goal."

He looks to Shinsei, "Do you know more of the threats we shall face - be they to spirit or to body?"
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 21, 2020 6:20 am

"Ah, no... no offense is given, friend," she was quick to assure Shinsei. "But thank you. I now know more than I did if I had not asked."

That Jigoku was indeed a very-very bad place, and she was right to not attempting to contact it.

At Jin's question, she fell silent again to listen to the answers of those wiser than her.

Theme 2Profile

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 21, 2020 6:40 am

"I've yet walked only the very edges of Jigoku's influence, and what I've seen there could fill a man's nightmares to bursting. Why lies beyond I cannot say."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jin

Post by Jin » Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 am

"Very fair." Jin nods, "One cannot be expected to be given all the answers so easily as nice as that sometimes might be. May I ask how you have come to have learned as much as you have?"

Description

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 am

Shinsei shrugged, then held up the palm of one hand and mimed walking around with the tips of his fingers. "I travel, I learn, and then I travel elsewhere."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Return to “Court Room”