What is Jigoku and How Do We Fight It? [Day 1]

Shinjo

Re: What is Jigoku and How Do We Fight It? [Day 1]

Post by Shinjo » Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 am

Shinjo sighed from her place nearby. "I'm glad all of you answered the call for that reason. Unfortunately, our missing brother was the expert in the Spirit Realms..."
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Honor: 10.0, Status: 9.0, Glory: 10.0

Run by GM Canary

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Wed May 20, 2020 6:09 am

“Jin is right, magic will be very helpful,” Nori agreed solemnly. With a small knife he cut his left palm to support Jin’s demonstration. “I have some knowledge of those arts as well.”

“My master also taught me another thing about the dangers of these ‘shadow lands,’” the Crab continued. “There is a sickness that can be contracted if you are wounded by the unclean beasts that dwell there, or drink unclean water. I understand that small amounts of jade can help ward off this disease. If at all possible, we should bring whatever jade we can, and distribute it among the expedition for protection.”

Day 1 EE Cast Mental Quickness FIRE/rank +affinity TN15: 7d10o10k4 24
Day 1 EE Jigoku strategy part 3 with 3 raises INT/Lore: Shadowlands +Mental Quickness TN30: 8d10o10k7 42 succeeds
Crab Clan • Shugenja • Fire • Caravan Guard • Cook • Medicine Man
Status 1.0 • Glory 2.0 • Reputation: As Expected
carries: scroll satchel, cook pot, yarrow sticks, tetsubo, flute

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Wed May 20, 2020 6:10 am

"He has shared with me some of his knowledge" Reiko said reassuringly to Shinjo "I can still feel him, and when the moment aligns I am able to converse with him."

She went silent as the others continued the discussion, listening intently.
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed May 20, 2020 6:17 am

[3/6 successes, 0/3 Failures, 9 total raises achieved]
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed May 20, 2020 6:31 am

To Nori, a simple, impressed nod. "A very useful discovery indeed, though I know not what quantity of the stone might be present. Priority of choice with such protection may be in order, much as it pains me to watch others suffer. We will need to be prepared to lose beforr we can gain."

To Shinjo, a disturbed frown. "That is troublesome, if Jigoku should succeed in corrupting the one who stands the most ready to defend against it."

Finally, to Reiko, a surprised tilt of the head. "Truly? You can hear his voice? I came on word of mouth that there was one seeking to reclaim the lost but knew not how this knowledge came about. In what way are you able to connect so strongly?"
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 am

Jin nods and looks at Kyosei while Yoshitsune speaks, "Kyosei here would be the one to speak to on that matter. He has spent much time in study of jade since the fall of the kami. He has even shown me how to summon it though it stays only briefly...."

Jin once more draws the blade across flesh. First there is a repeat of the water show from earlier but as the blood continues to drip it changes from clear to green and soon a rain of small, sharp shards of green stone are cascading from his hand to the floor. Eventually they cease falling and vanish leaving neither stone nor blood behind.

"I do not think this will protect us from the disease of the land, since it does not stay, but perhaps it will have some use to soothe, or defend against, those afflicted."

(Casting Reversal, Casting Jade Strike, Spellcraft/Intelligence with one raise versus TN 20 base = success)
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 am

[4/6 successes, 0/3 Failures, 10 total raises achieved]

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 am

Kyosei nods. "Hai, I crafted that spell, but it doesn't even seem to do that well. I am working on making it slightly more powerful, but it's slow going. I also found a black stone, almost a glass, with similar but different qualities. How useful either of those will be on this trip? No idea."
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2020 7:30 am

Jin smiles softly at the Isawa, "Don't sell yourself short Kyosei. I am sure it will have some benefit and I have no doubt you will succeed at improving it further."
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 am

"This spell does look promising," Nori agreed. "Hopefully between our magic and our warriors, we'll do well against any creatures of Jigoku that we encounter."

"What about the route we plan to take? Do we have an idea of which path is the best for our purposes?"

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 am

Shinjo nodded and took out a rough map. "Between Jin-san and the Nezumi, we have a route chosen." She pointed to the river that ran past where the castle was marked. "We will follow the Seidou river a little way, then cross the Twilight Mountains south, and from there follow this river south until it turns east toward the sea. We will continue a little way south to there." She pointed to where an circled X was marked. "That's the former Nezumi capital city. Our brother apparently crashed through and destroyed much of it in his passing, and Jigoku's influence finished it."
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Run by GM Canary

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 am

Kyosei is far enough, he really can't see the map. To calm his nerves, he pulls out a pair of stones, one greenish, the other a glossy black, both about half the size of his palm. And begins to spin them against each other in his off hand.

He cranes his neck up slightly to see what he can, still spinning, then glances down at the stones in his hand. And has an insight. "Oh. Of course. How did I miss it? They have all the elements - both of them have all the elements! That's why Jade is so important. Huh."

"I believe I have found a way to call on the spirits to create jade to attack with, and it should do well with any demons, or others imbalanced by other realms. But, it is impractical to do in here - it is likely quite destructive."

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am

[5/6 successes, 0/3 Failures, 10 total raises achieved]

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am

Jin, while far from a prideful man, still couldn't help but smile when Shinjo had noted his contribution to the route. He had worked hard on those maps over the years and it was always good to know it was not time wasted.

At Kyosei's exclamation he looks over and crooks his head slightly as he ponders, "Interesting. Interesting. I think I might get what you're saying but I'll need you to demonstrate later to be sure. Good work!"

Description

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 am

"It sounds like an interesting development," Nori commented. "I'd like to see it too, if you're willing to share."
Shinjo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 am
"That's the former Nezumi capital city. Our brother apparently crashed through and destroyed much of it in his passing, and Jigoku's influence finished it."
"Do you think the Nezumi will be friendly to our expedition?" Nori asked. "They might be...unhappy about what happened to their city. But maybe our Nezumi guides could intercede with them?"

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 pm

"We're going to be camping near one of their cities and attempting some diplomatic overtures to them then," she said. "Although, callous though it is to say, their backs are against the wall at the moment. I don't think they'll be hostile, at least. And we have several of their number coming with us."

Run by GM Canary

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm

"I spoke to one, and he seemed to place great importance to Names. To their shamans Naming things, and giving them power. Also his own name, what he called himself, seemed to be a construct, slowly expanding over time." Kyosei noted. "Thus, those with more powerful names, particularly if they either changed their name, or added to it, might be the best ambassadors."

He continued to fiddle with the two stones, one in each hand now.

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Wed May 20, 2020 12:42 pm

"Names are important," Shinjo agreed. "Before we were born, our parents codified the world and made it what it is using Names."

Run by GM Canary

Yoshitsune Nori

Post by Yoshitsune Nori » Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm

"I don't know much about this Name magic," Nori admitted. "But Kyosei's advice sounds reasonable. Should we also bring gifts or trade goods for the Nezumi? Perhaps that would sweeten their disposition towards us. In that region, I expect we'll need all the friends we can get."

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2020 12:59 pm

At the discussion of names and their importance Jin's lips tighten into a frown unconsciously. It passes in a few moments as he shakes it off but he remains quiet for now.

Description

Return to “Court Room”