(D16, EA) Talk on the Doorstep

Bayushi Umeno

(D16, EA) Talk on the Doorstep

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 am

Umeno hadn't made it a habit of visiting the tent's of the Kami as they tended to be quite busy, and she had little to talk about anyway with anyone in them. She'd visited Kinsen in Hantei's, but she'd received word that Shinjo's husband wished to speak to her. She'd been busy that morning, but finally found time after having a bit of lunch.

She gave a scratch at the tent pole and cleared her throat to let her host know she was there.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Shinjo Koyama

Re: (D16, EA) Talk on the Doorstep

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:51 am

The man appeared fully geared for battle, even if he wouldn't be the one to descend. There was some scowl plastered onto his features that likely wasn't natural, but a reflection of some inner ordeal. Given the situation, who could truly blame him though.

"Ah think ah hae heard that yer Kami wants tae claim Beiden, th' ancestral lands o' th' Hikaru. Is it true?"
Once known as Kozan of the Hikaru

Ki-Rin Clan ʭ Highlander ʭ Dragonborn ʭ Froward ʭ Frank ʭ Fierce ʭ Focused
Status: Shinjo's Guidman Glory: Bairn of the Earth Repute: 'Freedom!'

hatchet, spear, studded club, leather-and-bone armour, bear hide cloak
beer skin, dice, xun, cowrie shell strings

Xiao Bao, the sarcastic raccoon dog

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 am

Umeno blinked a bit. She was used to Kinsen and Nanzi. Koyama was proving to be a bit more... blunt, and to the point. She sort of appreciated it, but took a moment to get used to the change.

"Ah, I get it now, why you asked for me. Yeah, he's been talking about it. Right next to the lands he's claimed after all." She paused, giving a bow as if remembering herself, even if Koyama hadn't seemed to be all formal like the others. "In fact, it's a task I'll likely take when I get back. Phi of the Hikaru asked me to, and I'm honored to help those I've fought alongside."

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:02 am

"It is ah wha gubbed Chosaku sae if thare is some authority left ower th' Hikaru, it's wi' me. 'n' sae we hae tae talk." He would truly have not much of the etiquette some were so keen on introducing into their lives. Ever a blunt, honest highlander.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:27 am

Umeno gave a small shrug. "I'm not really in a position to say who's in charge of their remnants or not Koyama...sama." Never hurt to try at least a little politeness. Maybe Shinjo was listening somewhere. "I'm sure there are others in the tribe that would disagree with you, but then, those that're left don't really want to respect the Kami or join in with them. That's why Phi came to me."

"Truth told, I can't say what Bayushi-Kami'd do about it all, but I know he's a bit like minded with other of his siblings that he wants his lands under control and peaceful. The Hikaru are, and always have been, raiders. Had more than a few raids from them back when I was a Kuwagaya, and lost more'n a few comrades. The Scorpion have had a few raids from the north, but whether from just bandits or Hikaru, can't say. If I had t' guess, you'd like to see the mountains and the pass stay as they are, yes?"

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:18 pm

"Ah hae bin sic a raider 'n' ah hae murdurred yer fowk. Afore ah gubbed Chosaku ah hud bin his trusted lieutenant 'n' as pure heartless as th' neist Hikaru. This is howfur we leed, taking wi' braun whit bens cuid nae yield. 'n' then it a' changed. Fur ye, 'n' fur us."

He paused. "I hae led maist o' mah gang tae Shinjo, bit we hae nae foresaken oor kinship wi' they wha chose nae tae gang wi' me. If yer clan steals oan thaim, we wull respond in kind. Fae mah time at th' Seppun Hill ah mind bayushi as yin that hud mair sense than maist o' th' rest o' th' gods. Ah think it wull be better that we fin' accommodation, 'n' Scorpion plans fur Beiden ur sic that see thair interests. Ah dinnae push fur ony particular solution 'n' ah wull support yin that does nae harm mah tribe."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:53 am

Umeno nodded slowly, her arms folding. "Bayushi-Kami has sense, of course. Our goal as a clan isn't to destroy the past, nor is it to senselessly kill others in the name of expansion or order even. The differences we seem to face is that you would have the remaining Hikaru left to their own devices as much as you can. I understand the want for freedom for those that wish it, but it's not that simple. Times have changed, whether we wish it or not. More importantly, whether they wish it or not."

Umeno frowned a bit, leaning against a tent pole. "My first solution, and even Phi's, has always been to see to it that they join the Scorpion, or really, any clan. It wouldn't be to move them, to take away their way of life necessarily, other than to see that there are never any more raids on those seeking to go through the mountains. You, and those Hikaru that left with you, have a Lady to look after you now. You have lands to feed you, clans to trade with. Those that refused to leave have none of those things. They have raided, and will raid, as long as they lack. You know as well as I do that many are too proud to ask, so they will seek to take, whenever and however they can."

"If that continues, if people lose their work and blood, Bayushi-Kami's sympathy would see that it stopped." She paused. "I am willing to have him and his sister talk, with you present as well as others if needed. The castle I seek to have put at the mouth of the pass isn't for aggression, but for defense, to see to it that bandits that stalk the pass don't stop trade and communication between the north and south. I would love nothing more than to have the help of those that know the pass best, rather than to have them be the bandits we seek to protect others from."

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:24 am

"If tis fur defence, ye assume thare wull be they tae defend against. How come nae let th' Hikaru bide as th' please, 'n' juist let thaim raid someone else? if yer laird wants thaim tae bade in th' bens, he kin send thaim fairn. Then in times fur war he kin ask thaim tae replay th' favour 'n' strike at his enemies. We ur fair 'n' honest folk, oor debts ur repaid." Koyama suggested. "Then if they're nae Scorpion tis even an advantage. Some kin eventually swear fealty tae Laird Bayushi, bit tis neither mah decision, nor yers, bit theirs."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:43 am

Umeno gave a sigh, closing her eyes a moment. "There already are people to defend against Koyama. I wouldn't have thought about this if I didn't already have reason to. The Hikaru that are there already have raided the lands of the Scorpions, killed out people, and taken our things. The moment they decided to take away the freedoms from our people, they lost the right to make their own freedom their own choice. You know as well as I do they won't just start accepting shipments of food and hand outs to keep the peace. That's never been their way, and it never will be."

She paused, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "Besides, let's even assume they stop raiding my people. You want Bayushi-Kami to just look the other way as they raid some other clan? I have made friends in all of the other clans this trip, those that sent representatives at least. I would not wish loss on any other clan any more than I would my own. You say you speak for them, that you're as much their leader now as anyone, but you don't live with them, and they refuse to follow you to Shinjo's service. You've moved on to a different way of life, to a way of peace and prosperity, of compassion and understanding, of trade and cooperation. Those that stayed behind have not. If it were as simple as 'leave them alone and they'll leave you alone', I would agree with you in a heartbeat. They haven't, so I won't."

"Now, if you have a proposal to have them start accepting the food without forcing them too, or stop raiding everyone, I would welcome it immediately. The Scorpion would love to have the Hikaru help keep the pass peaceful." She gave a slight smile. "That's all we want in the end Koyama; safety and security for all. The same as you."

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:11 am

"They lost na richt sin 'twas ne'er yer tae give." He fumed a bit, pressing his nostrils open to release a blow of air.

"If ye dinnae lik' mah ideas fur letting ye 'n' thaim co-bide, then come up wi' yer ain that wull wirk. If ye juist move against thaim, ye wull see a grudge rise against yer clan fae ilk side a hikaru haes ever wandered intae. Ah git they're a headache fur yer territorial plans, bit yer cure kin be worse than th' illness if ye wale tae dingy thair interests."

He mused. "But mibbie they'll learn tae trade 'n' bide as ye expect thaim tae bide if ye dae richt by thaim. Ah kinnae tell. Mah point is tis nae oan me tae fin' a guid solution, bit oan ye 'n' yer laird. That haes ever bin mah point aboot th' kami, ah respect they wha listen tae folk 'n' kin bargain wi' thaim, nae they wha assume servitude 'n' regale 'n' lash oot when meeting opposition."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:50 am

"There was never that assumption Koyama, especially on Bayushi-Kami's part," Umeno said thoughtfully. "He's very much the sort to sit back and observe rather than press himself onto others."

The Scorpion paused for a long moment. "...I am still in strong doubt that they will just decide to start trading, but perhaps with the benefit of the doubt, we can see some sort of compromise. Those that still seek to raid and plunder will be dealt with as they come, but I see no reason to not give the rest a chance to cooperate and change. A castle would certainly be more for safety, but what if instead I mentioned I was thinking of putting a city at the end of the pass as well? It's not just the safety of traders and merchants that I'm thinking of, but also a central place for trade for all of Rokugan."

She gestured with a hand to encompass everything around them. "With so much possible, surely there would be enough to make it worth the Hikaru's time and effort and to overcome their pride, and with so many coming and going, it would be Rokugan's best interests to help bring the Hikaru to trading, not just the Scorpion's. It would serve to benefit all of us, even your former tribe, yes? I can think of few better ways to look out for not only the interests of the Scorpion and Hikaru, but all of Rokugan."

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 am

Koyama took a longer pause to think.

"Ah wull support yer wirk 'n' send some o' mah Hikaru Shinjo kinsmen tae contribute. This kin hulp oor ben brethren tae adjust. If hings gang awry, ah wull travel thare in body 'n' huv a go tae reason wi' thaim. Bit if at ony point ye caw hostile oan th' Hikaru beyond whit's reasonable self-defence, mah hail support wull be withdrawn. Is it richt by ye?"

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 am

"I've said from the start that it's only the aggression I'm worried about, and I would be more than happy to have you try to deal with it instead of the Scorpion." Umeno gave a bit of a grin. "I'd also more than gladly accept help from the people of Shinjo in seeing to some of the city's planning. It'll be a Scorpion city, but as I said, it'll be for everyone. It's all right by me Koyama."

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:21 am

"Then let's settle oan this, Umeno. 'n' let's prepare fur facing hell. There'll be mair time tae blether efter we survive." He said, massaging his temples, then stretching.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 am

Umeno gave a nod, rubbing her shoulder. "Yeah, I'm still getting over my last battle with that demon thing. When this is all over, and we'll both survive I'm certain, we can talk more then."

Return to “The Kami's Tent”