(Day 7, EM) Seeking Convincing Arguments

Seidou Satone

(Day 7, EM) Seeking Convincing Arguments

Post by Seidou Satone » Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Satone marches into the Kami's tent area and knocks on both Hantei and Shinjo's tents, standing outside of them both at an equal distance, her arms crossed and defiant.
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil
Bodyguard for Seidou Haruyo

Hantei

Re: (Day 7, EM) Seeking Convincing Arguments

Post by Hantei » Thu May 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Hantei emerges dressed in sensible but obviously fine clothes he stood tall and radiated a sense of command and dignity but aslso quiet strength. The kind that did not need to be proven by posturing but was simply evident in his being.

He looked at the seidou woman and quirked an eyebrow at her curiously "Yes? What can I do for you?" he asked in a soft yet still commanding voice.
Kami | Paragon of Honor | Leadership | Virtuous | Irreproachable

Honor: 10.0, Status: 9.0, Glory: 10.0

Played by GM Tyrus

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Shinjo emerged, as well, wearing simpler garments than her brother. "Good morning, Seidou-san...?"
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Run by GM Canary

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Thu May 28, 2020 3:58 pm

"Good morning, to both of you. I am Satone, of what is left of the Seidou. I come before you to seek explanation of what you both offer the free peoples of this world, and why we should follow you."

She stands in a firm stance, determination set in her jaw.

"I have heard from Anjing why the Seidou should follow the Crab, and do not agree. I have spoken with Nanzi, husband of your sister Doji, and do not agree with her ways either. I have spoken to one named Sora and learned of their opinion, which seems to match much of mine, but who have decided to follow their new clan to ensure what I fear does not come to pass."

" I seek understanding, so I and my charge, a spirit leader named Haruyo, may best make our choice of what path we should walk for the remainder of our lives. We are here on this expedition to help, and will see it out to the end, but much of what you say now will determine our path after."
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil

Hantei

Post by Hantei » Thu May 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Hantei nodded having heard the same request countless times before "Well we have discussed and we have seen the potential of mortals, for now you remain far too divided, oppositional, to reach that potential. What we bring is a way to elevate humanity to reach heights you have scarce even imagined before. to unite the disparate people of the tribes into one people, into an Empire. We bring advancements in technology, civic engineering, how to settle cities and so much more but these things take time. We are promising to bring prosperity and order to the chaos around us but we are in turn asking for a bit of trust."

Played by GM Tyrus

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Thu May 28, 2020 5:46 pm

"If it was just trust you sought, then why create ruling bodies for each clan, destroying the power structures already in place? Why create a position of Emperor that all must obey? Your requests seem innocent enough now, but what if in ten years, you tell us to never sing our traditional songs again, for they are improper? What if you tell us that those who work in one job are no longer considered to be part of society and have equal rights as each other? My charge is a spiritual leader, and what if you suddenly tell her she is no longer to worship the spirits she has worshiped for years?"

"I have just learned that Nanzi, husband to Doji has introduced a means of settling disputes by having each person test their skill with the blade. No truth to the matter at all, simply who is faster and more skilled is considered right. This enrages me, and shows no proper means of justice and instead favors only those who study the sword and are privileged enough to make it their life's work"

"You may have came from heaven, but you are ere now as mortals. What makes you any better than I, or anyone else to lead us? Why was the Emperor only picked from the eight of you? My tribe is nearly gone now because they felt they must follow Hida, but none of them truly ever had a choice. The unspoken truth is those of us who have not joined will soon die out, or no longer be welcome in your new world."

She seems like she has thousands more concerns and complains, but pauses, taking a breath and looking frustratedly between the two.

Hantei

Post by Hantei » Thu May 28, 2020 6:21 pm

"How could we unify with hundreds of tribes? We are here to lead I will not deny that. What qualifies us to do so? We are blessed by the heavens. We are less than we are but in many ways still not just mortals, We do not age as you, we do not tire as you do, we have the knowledge and strength to lead these tribes. Is that not what a leader is but someone who is qualified to direct their people? We are asking you to trust in our leadership and see the fruits it will bear. Things will change in time, they must. I understand change can be frightening and uncertainty breeds discomfort but the enemy of these things is trust if you trust us to lead you to a brighter future then it will make the transition smoother. We are not here to entirely destroy your culture but to guide you into a more prosperous future."

"I have not spoken to Nanzi about this but I assume it is something that emulates the very tournament used to decide who lead out of the eight of us. It is not by one's skill that they win but by the grace of my Mother Amaterasu, the sun herself." he said looking up and smiling shielding his eyes against the bright rays of the morning. "I would in turn ask who are you to question the blessing of Amaterasu the giver of life?" the question was not a threat but one of genuine curiosity though there was some sharpness held in check.

Played by GM Tyrus

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm

"Why can not the tribes exist and keep their way of life and remain autonomous if they wish? You say your ways are better, and that may be true, but we all deserve choice, and being told Join or Leave is no choice."

She thinks for a moment.

"If it is her guidance that decided, then why require a specific skill? One that none even practice now? "

She frowns, and sets her large hammer down in front of her and takes a step back, motioning to it.

"You say you are more than us? Prove it. I have yet to meet anyone who can fel me in a single strike. Prove to me you are better than us and show otherwise. A god would be comfortable with any weapon, and should have no problem with such a challenge."

She sets herself in an open, but defensive posture.

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Koyama would be around if he was necessary for any demonstration of prowess in lieu of his wife. The past few days he had been dedicating heavily to sharpen his martial qualities.

[I have a lot of slots to waste so keep my presence as a potentiality if it could contribute; otherwise I am happy to remain outside of it.]
Once known as Kozan of the Hikaru

Ki-Rin Clan ʭ Highlander ʭ Dragonborn ʭ Froward ʭ Frank ʭ Fierce ʭ Focused
Status: Shinjo's Guidman Glory: Bairn of the Earth Repute: 'Freedom!'

hatchet, spear, studded club, leather-and-bone armour, bear hide cloak
beer skin, dice, xun, cowrie shell strings

Xiao Bao, the sarcastic raccoon dog

Hantei

Post by Hantei » Fri May 29, 2020 12:30 am

Seidou Satone wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm
"Why can not the tribes exist and keep their way of life and remain autonomous if they wish? You say your ways are better, and that may be true, but we all deserve choice, and being told Join or Leave is no choice."

She thinks for a moment.

"If it is her guidance that decided, then why require a specific skill? One that none even practice now? "

She frowns, and sets her large hammer down in front of her and takes a step back, motioning to it.

"You say you are more than us? Prove it. I have yet to meet anyone who can fel me in a single strike. Prove to me you are better than us and show otherwise. A god would be comfortable with any weapon, and should have no problem with such a challenge."

She sets herself in an open, but defensive posture.
Hantei steps forward and picks up the hammer turning it over in his hands for a moment and then takes it in one hand and twirls it as if it were a bo, nimbly between his fingers. He looks at Satone for a long while before extending the hammer back to her. "This is a good weapon well balanced for its weight it will serve you well in the coming times."

"I would not strike you down and deprive this expedition of a proud warrior, you are brave and bold but you balance on the edge of foolishness. Do not be so quick to risk your life for while a warrior is bound to die by the sword it should not be wasted on a whim. Think on this for the rest of the expedition and perhaps after if you still wish to do it this way then I will consider it. But know what you are asking for is not boldness it is foolish." he paused "Through violence is not the way we wish to show our strength but by leading."

Played by GM Tyrus

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Fri May 29, 2020 12:45 am

Satone takes the hammer and rests it on her shoulder.

"When this is over, we shall have more words. I am here to help you in your journey, but after that, unless I have been convinced otherwise, I do not know if I can, or should, swear to you or any of your kind. I am not convinced that you are our betters, or have any right to rule over us. Yet I do not wish to be forced out from the lands I know and love either."

She looks him in the eyes defiantly.

"Would you allow for those who do not wish to be under your Emperor's thumb to keep their lands and ways, and simply agree that we can coexist as equals? Borders within your borders where on one side, humanity rules, and on the other, your Emperor?"

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Fri May 29, 2020 2:23 am

Shinjo, who had remained silent for most of the discussion, finally spoke up from where she'd come to sit on the makeshift table. "Shiba-heika hasn't forced any of the tribes to do anything, Seidou-san. My husband did convince the Hilary to join with a knife at their throat. The Ayakashi split between the Dragon and the Imperial Families according to personal preference. You speak of being under someone's thumb, but our brother values the contributions of humanity. Those who decide to join keep many of their ways, and he incorporates what can help everyone into the foundation of the Empire. Perhaps to a degree that my other brother doesn't fully approve of." She sent a teasing smirk Hantei's way and for a moment it's easy to see that they're siblings.

"You don't have to swear to anyone. The tribal way of life is slowly turning into a more organized one, one beyond simple subsistence. We're here to help humans move to a point where they can pursue their highest potentials without worrying about bandits and starvation putting an end to that. We want the people who want to explore to be able to. I make that easier when people follow me. Akodo has helped the former Noriaki become an organized and honorable force instead of wild bandits. That's what we offer. No one is demanding you to take it. I think there would be things you might gain from it. That's up to you, though."
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Run by GM Canary

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Fri May 29, 2020 2:49 am

Satone turns to look at Shinjo.

"Lady Shinjo. You have honeyed words and many promises. I can understand why many join, and I do not think them wrong. My concern is for the future. If in a generation or two from now, when we are dead and you still live, will you keep the same promises to our children? You say that we are not forced to join, but if we don't, where are we to go? And what is to say that sometime down the road you would not decide our land is necessary for your empire?"

"I do not have any reason to think of you as anything more than another group of conquerors, but this time, instead of violence, you make the promise of a better future your tool. And, some of the demands you already make are not innocent or better in my eyes. If I am to understand correctly, if someone stole from me, I would need to beat them in a test of skill with the blade, that you say is the will of the Lady Sun, to prove that they wronged me. But I have never practiced the art, and the thief has their entire life. I stand no chance, and then must accept it was the will of the heavens?"

She shakes her head.

"Perhaps I am too simple or naive, but that does not sound like fairness to me."

"I have someone I love dearly and have been their guide and protector my entire life. They are a spiritual leader. What happens if your Emperor Shiba says that her ways, the ways that have gotten us so far in life together, are now wrong?"

"I am here to help in this mission because I think it is the right thing to do, but I have many concerns and no one has given me a satisfactory answer of yet. I will offer you the same as I have just offered your brother."

She swings the hammer off her shoulder and plants it on the ground between them.

"If you can knock me out in one strike, which no mortal has ever done to me, I will at least have no doubts of your power, and have some cause to put stock in you."

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Fri May 29, 2020 3:08 am

"... So, conquest works by making someone an offer and letting them decide whether to take it. That's a new one on me," Shinjo commented dryly. "No one stole anything from you. Your people left, Seidou-san. They made a choice of their own volition to become Crab and leave their identity as Seidou behind. I wonder if it's simply a matter of trying to comfort yourself after that to think of it as conquest."

"Tengoku has always ruled over you, you've just never known it. What are your tribal practices for but to appease the Fortunes and Elements so that they don't wipe you out on a whim? And the Elemental Dragons and Fortunes are beings of Tengoku. They will, at least, listen to us as the children of their monarch, Lady Sun. It's a question not of whether you're ruled, but by whom, and whether those people are interested in the plight of mortals."

She rose. "But you're clearly set on your path. Let me ask you this - will you accept an alternate test of strength so that we don't lose a strong warrior, or must it be strictly knocking you out?"

Run by GM Canary

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Fri May 29, 2020 3:24 am

"It is an offer to join, or become nothing. Conquest in all but name, but perhaps that is me simply being ignorant on using a more appropriate word. As far as our practices, I cannot say, I am not a spiritualist or leader like my charge Haruyo is. I only worry that her ways may be something that is not as you say, and then she is forced to abandon them. How can I know the spirits she sees and speaks are the same as you have just described?"

Satone hesitates as Shinjo rises.

"The challenge I have put forth is because I believe a god could knock me out in one strike, with a weapon they are unfamiliar with, because gods know all and are the strongest things in existence. If you have another proposal however, I will hear it."

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Fri May 29, 2020 4:53 am

"I could knock you out with one strike, but I would rather not reduce your head to a fine mist," she noted. "So I propose I... or both of us... demonstrate our prowess on some of the local rocks instead. We both hit one and check the result. Simple enough."

Run by GM Canary

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 am

"Hm. Perhaps. Though, I have met many who are stronger than me. It is more my stamina I have not seen mortals be able to overcome easily."

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm

Shinjo sighed. "Fine. Knocking you out it is. I will make sure it's measured. Let's step outside."

Run by GM Canary

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 pm

Satone chuckles.

"Keep my face pretty, at least. "

She heads outside and sets herself into a defensive posture, not to avoid the blow, but more to absorb it.

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Sat May 30, 2020 1:39 am

Shinjo looked to Hantei. "Brother, could you give her your blessing, please?"

Run by GM Canary

Return to “The Kami's Tent”