Day 5 LA: Meditations

Wu

Re: Day 5 LA: Meditations

Post by Wu » Thu May 28, 2020 8:42 am

''Or perhaps it is my humoristic debacle that amuses him so'' he said with a smile before taking a deep breath

''May I ask you your opinion on something?''
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 am

"It could also be that." Shinsei inclined his head once. "Many have sought my opinion already, another would not be so difficult. What is it you wish me to consider?"
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Wu

Post by Wu » Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 am

''I started a school to train spearman for the Dragon but I wish for this school to train their mind as well as their body'' he began, reaching for a scroll

''One of my battle brother and I wrote this and give a copy to each of our students. These helped us in our time but I do not wish to force something harmful on our students. I would like to know what you think.''

With that he handed him the parchment
I have met many man of professed wisdom, both true and false, during my travels but the words of one of one of my old mentors echoed more profundly within me. This is the essence of what he believed in the words of my friend and fellow student Mirumoto. Meditate on these words

1. do not turn your back on the various Ways of the World
2. Do not scheme for physical pleasure
3. Do not intend to rely on anything
4. Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply
5. Do not ever think in acquisitive terms.
6. Do not regret thing about your own personnal life
7. Do not envy another's good or evil
8. Do not lament parting on any road whatsoever.
9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
11. In all things, have no preferences.
12. Be indifferent to where you live.
13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
17. Do not begrudge death
18. Do not intent to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
19. Respect the words of the wise and the gods but do not depend on them.
20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
21. Never stray from the way of martial arts.
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu May 28, 2020 11:59 am

Shinsei read the parchment with a carefully composed expression, but ultimately there was a mild frown upon his lips by the end. "It is... quite strict, and the wording is more than a little harsh. Some of these ideas I do not quite grasp the necessity of. How does one define good food? And in what way is love so damaging as lust? I do not mean to criticize, but I do wish to understand the intent of these structures before providing the whole of my opinion."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Wu

Post by Wu » Fri May 29, 2020 3:01 am

''I would not be offended by critism nor would I mind it.'' he said with a bow ''It is strict and demanding...but we thought it was necessary. It it meant for people who would be warriors, defenders...some may eventually some to call them samurai. They will yield power and responsibility.
Perhaps by status or by the simple brutish fact that they will be trained to master violence to a greater degree then the people around them.''

he frowned then sighed

''Power should be demanding, the spear should be taken because it is needed and not because it is a useful tool for the ambitious.''

He wondered of this was te right way

''Love and lust are not the same thing, true, but both can lead to evil for man in love can do terrible things in the name of it. We do not discourage someone from love but it should not be a guide. One can savor the food offered but should not succum to gluttony or even milder forms of the vice. If the people eat barley and green then their protectors should be able to eat the same thing...Do..do I make sense?''

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Fri May 29, 2020 3:25 am

"You do, and I understand the need for temperance, but the average man is not so flexible. Demand of him that he not stand upon a patch of grass and he may very well stomp all the harder on it. These," he gestured to the parchment, "are orders, where what you seem to seek is guidelines. No man is perfect, especially when perfection is demanded of him. But when one is guided into place, they adhere all the more strongly." Shinsei looked to Wu, eyes calm and bearing wisdom that his apparent age could not account for. "Have you lived these ways yourself?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Wu

Post by Wu » Fri May 29, 2020 3:33 am

''I have certainly tried. Failed at times but I always keep them in mind for I never perceived them as orders myself...more like guidelines, as you say, or warnings. It seems I failed in delivering the same sentiment.''

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Fri May 29, 2020 3:39 am

"And, as you suggest, failed to live up to your own standards. There is an important lesson there, I think. You have not stopped trying to live the ideals, so you should not stop trying to express them. All that truly needs to change is the approach. Tell me, did you write these words with your heart, or with your head?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Wu

Post by Wu » Fri May 29, 2020 3:47 am

''Failing is no shame if you stand back up...Everyone stumbles eventually. As for these ideals I believe we wrote it with our heads.'' he admitted

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 am

"Then, if I may suggest, write it with your whole self. If it's every part of you that chooses to live these ideals, so it should be every part of you that expresses them to others. 'Want not for the taste of good food over that of sustenance,' for example. Do not implies a command. What you seek to do is guide. I know something about this."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Wu

Post by Wu » Fri May 29, 2020 8:32 am

Wu listened and nodded

''Yes, this is indeed the better approach. Thank you for your advice.'' the last sentence piqued his curiosity ''Do you have experience in writing?''

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sat May 30, 2020 12:20 am

"Some," he admitted. "In the developing empire it will be a very useful skill, but I pride myself on learning all I can of the ways of mankind, so when written word came about, I began to study it."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Wu

Post by Wu » Sat May 30, 2020 5:24 am

''There is much to learn indeed'' he nodded, approving of the philosophy. ''Have you travelled for a long time?''

Return to “Shinsei's Tent”