[Day 3, Early Evening] Here to See a Man About a Vision

Jiyo Sora

[Day 3, Early Evening] Here to See a Man About a Vision

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat May 23, 2020 4:33 pm

With his nightmarish vision fresh in his mind, and still trying to piece it out, Sora went looking for someone he hadn't exactly been avoiding... so much not making any particular effort to find.

And hey, if that bird of his is around, it'll be just like home, only with fewer Ayakashi.

It struck him, then, that he had come to think of the Imperial household as "home." The Spine of the World would always be where he was born and grew to physical maturity, but... it wasn't where he wanted to go back to when this mess was over.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Shinsei

Re: [Day 3, Early Evening] Here to See a Man About a Vision

Post by Shinsei » Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 pm

This time the crow was hanging around, perched on one of the two tents now in the area and flitting back and forth between the two in the strangest fashion. Namely, it was climbing up to the top of one tent, turning sideways, then rolling down the sloping cloth until it was bounced into the air, at which point it took flight to the other tent and repeated the process.

Shinsei was standing beside the tents, watching this display with interest.
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 am

Sora chuckled, in spite of his nerves.

"Always be wary of a bird smart enough to both get bored and then do something about it. They call you Shinsei, yes?"
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 3:07 am

"That's the name most commonly used to refer to me, yes." He observed the bird for a few more cycles, then turned to face the newcomer. "Karasu gets bored often, and finds ways to fill the time as he sees fit. I lost track of him this very morning, in fact. But I can't imagine you're here to discuss the eccentricities of the bird."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 3:23 am

"Unfortunately, no, although if you ever visit the Emperor, I'm certain Han-Han would cheerfully match wits with Karasu for everyone's... amusement."

A brief chuckle.

"But no. I recently experienced a vision- a horrifying one, if truth be told, and while I'm not certain of its exact meaning... I have my hunches. But since word is you chaired the discussion on where we're going, you seemed the guy to ask."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 3:33 am

"Ominous visions, terrors unknown, unprecedented adversity and confusion? Yep, that's me all right. Let's sit." Shinsei gestured to a wide, flat rock a short distance away. "I suspect this isn't the sort of discussion one wants to have while standing up or enclosed in stuffy fabrics."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 4:10 am

"It's not the sort of discussion one wants to have... period. But a little fresh air and a slab to sit on wouldn't be taken amiss."

Taking the offered seat, he closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and began... at the middle.

No sense belaboring the history of his eye, after all- it was only marginally germane to the situation.

"My friend Jin took note of that old rock in the clearing, and knowing as he does about my abilities, asked me to see what I could see from it, since the Earth Kami he spoke to indicated that we're coming up on some sort of... war within the span of a human lifetime. A cyclical thing. The possibility of the future being in play is what got me interested."

Another deep breath. Not quite a meditative one- although he actually enjoyed meditation- but sort of a cleansing exhalation.

"So I went and had a gander at the rock. And I saw.... this black, oily filth taking over me. Making me a puppet. I slaughtered people without a second thought. People who did me no harm, because it wasn't me. And then i saw the child of one of the Spider- older, a few years older- and her cutting me down was a mercy. Then I snapped out of it, back in the glade."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 am

Shinsei chewed his tongue as he listened to Sora's tale, wondering what manner of stone could be giving away such powerful secrets, and the notion that there was such a signpost on the path they'd chosen to retrieve the fallen Kami sent a shiver through his whole body.

"Not a pleasant experience, I'm certain. This... filth, as you referred to it, most likely represents the corruption of Jigoku itself. The realm is known to pollute and pervert all it can touch. Even the briefest of contacts could result in the very future you saw coming to pass."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 4:49 am

"Shinsei... given where we're going..."

He gestured to the camp. To all of the people. And pack animals.

"You cannot tell me that everyone here carries adequate protection. We can't have found some way to protect the oxen..."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 5:03 am

"There is no adequate protection," he said, voice grave. "There is no time, no chance but the one we create for ourselves here and now. Jigoku is a divine realm, you can't fathom the scale of time in which it operates, the patience it can apply to the smallest of victories. Every step we allow it against us will build on each other...I can't stand by to wait for the best time to act. There will never be a good time to act, we must create one!"

Shinsei had raised his voice without realizing it, and his hands were clenched into fists. It took a moment, but he calmed himself, refusing to speak again until his breathing was more even. "We can only push forward. Jigoku will claim victims. It is inevitable. I hope we are prepared enough for what needs to be done. There's little else we can do about it now."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 5:05 am

"I simply wish to note that even palliative measures, like this..."

He fished a small piece of jade out of his obi.

"... are probably not widespread in this large gathering. We need to work out a system of sending people- and beasts of burden- back as we work through our supplies."

A sigh.

"Hopefully, somebody thought of that. It will also allow us to send word back in case we should fail, so the Emperor can prepare as best he is able."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 5:21 am

Shinsei stared at the jade in Sora's hand and nodded slowly. "A sound suggestion. If corruption begins to take hold as we travel, our companions and provisions could worsen the strain on the rest of us."

He closed his eyes, breathed in slowly, then breathed out again. "Those who know the ways of the spirit might be able to recognize Jigoku's influence, and decide who and what may need to be sent back."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 am

"That's well over my level of knowledge, but I would strongly suggest mentioning it to people in the know. The fewer lives- the fewer souls- we risk needlessly, the better."

He chuckled, despite the gravity of the situation.

"Fu Leng must be one tough son of the Sun to have held out as long as he has. Hope we get there in time- I'd hate to have to fight someone like that."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 am

"It would certainly be inadvisable to challenge one such as he directly. No one person could ever hope to do so alone. I will see to informing those most qualified about ways to detect the corruption early, but I fear the only way to identify it would be after it had already begun taking hold."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 6:18 am

"Might be we just start cutting people loose as we go further in. Like, leave a rearguard before we really get going to check those we send back for corruption..."

Having been party to his share of dirty tricks, Sora had some experience with security measures.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 6:41 am

"A troublesome but necessary precaution." Shinsei turned to look out over the valley, eyes and posture suddenly weary.

It lasted for about thirty seconds before the crow beaned him in the back of the head and cawed indignantly at him, earning a small smile. "Karasu seems to be concerned about my state of mind following your vision."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 am

"At least you know he cares."

Sora sighed.

"While we're on the subject, a spirit-talker of some sort talked tot he stone. Said it was shaped by 'the Five'. Does that mean anything to you?"

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 7:16 am

"The five? There are only two things that come to mind. The first is the elements themselves, but I assume you wouldn't ask if you thought that was the subject. More likely it refers to the five great races, some of the oldest beings to ever walk through Ningen-do. They are quite old, and many no longer walk among is anymore."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 am

"What do you know about them?"

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Sun May 24, 2020 7:42 am

"Little beyond what I just mentioned. I know the they existed, and that they were powerfully connected to each element, but they are ancient, and deciphering information about them is slow and filled with holes."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Return to “Shinsei's Tent”