[Day 3, Early Evening] Here to See a Man About a Vision

Jiyo Sora

Re: [Day 3, Early Evening] Here to See a Man About a Vision

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 6:33 am

Sora, living as he did in a heavily Ayakashi-influenced court, took this more or less in stride.

"You draw any blood, you owe me a feather."
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 am

"I'm sure he'll be careful enough up there." Shinsei didn't smile exactly, but his eyes were sparkling. The unexpected moment of levity was quite welcome.
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 am

"Well, he needn't be TOO careful, I have it on good authority that my skull can withstand a fair bit."
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am

"Yes, you mentioned something about a Hikaru killer tending children. I imagine both of those things do well with a thick skull." Shinsei drummed his fingers against his chin. "Have you had issues with the transition?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 7:00 am

"I have issues with waking up in the morning, Shinsei. It hasn't been as difficult as I expected though- mostly because..."

He shrugged, the gesture no doubt making the bird on his head bob slightly.

"Shiba has never, so far as I can tell anyway, given me an order. I've been given options, and have taken the ones that felt right. It helps that i didn't much enjoy what I did with the Hikaru, so leaving it behind to the extent I have doesn't feel like much of a loss. But..."

He chuckled.

"If you'd told me five years ago that I would be part of a Kami's household- and enjoying it? I'd have called you insane. But in many ways, the kids help with that- they're still so... new. They don't have anything but what we give them. They don't need to hate the Noriaki for raiding them, or the Anjing for pushing them out of their land, none of it. And... they offer a chance to let the Kami... not so much rule over us as blend with us. I like that."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 am

Shinsei listened to each point intently, but kept his expression perfectly level, as if committing details to memory.

"Orders will eventually be necessary, if any are to ever truly follow Shiba, but it is good to hear that you are adjusting well. Was there any uncertainty for you, in following Shiba? A time that troubled you before you achieved your clarity?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 4:47 pm

"Oh, he gives orders... but not to me. He knows his people, I guess is where I'm going with that. But as to your question..."

Sora took a deep breath.

"That... takes some time to tell. I ventured into the Seppun lands hoping for more out of life than I was finding among the Hikaru. But the first of the Kami I met..."

He chuckled.

"It didn't go well. Hida? Seemed like my old chief Chosaku writ large. Hantei, Doji, Akodo... all seemed intent on forcing their will on humanity without taking the time to understand the reasons for our customs."

He pointed to his eye.

"This... usually shows me one possible future. The Kami... their impact on time was such that I saw a myriad of futures around each of them. It was... difficult, but it also gave me a window on their character. Little... snippets. And for a while, there was a growing sense that while resistance might be futile, that the Empire would have... no place for me. For objections, for questions."

A smile.

"It wasn't all bad. Shinjo was- and is- lovely, Togashi seemed a tolerant enough type. I might have a found a future with either of them. But their roads weren't my road. And... I had a sinking sense that these beings who only had five years' experience in Ningen-Do would try to remake this world in Tengoku's image without understanding the distinction. But when I looked at Shiba..."

He shook his head.

"Not all of the futures I saw were good, but... I don't wish to speak of exactly what I saw that convinced me, because it might create an unfair expectation, or make Shiba think it was something he had to do, when the whole point is that his free choice to do it was the important thing. But... I asked to travel with him."

A pause.

"Which is not to say that I gave up my objections to many of the others. I don't mind telling you, because I told Shiba on the first day of his reign, that I am part of a group that is... concerned with the possible tyranny of the Kami. I feel the worst has been averted on that front, but I serve as a sort of.... liaison between those who might object and the Emperor. So far? I have not heard of any serious complaints with his rule as such, so we are more concerned with giving people time to adjust, and to make their own choices than with actively opposing the Empire as such. The children of the Kami serve, to me, as proof that we needn't do anything rash- they are blending with us. Synthesis is not the same thing as domination. But.... those concerns did influence me in the earliest days of my association with Shiba."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Shinsei gave a slow nod to many of the points Sora made, particularly the last one, though his features kept a careful neutrality to them.

"I was myself surprised to find that the children of heaven to be as flawed as those they would rule. Certainly they stand at the pinnacle of the ideals they represent, but I... did not expect to be teaching gods when I first set out to observe them."

He folded his hands into his lap, staring down into his palms.

"However, when I did finally see them, I knew that they needed to understand the world they had landed on, before simply crushing the ways of mankind beneath their heels. Shiba is a welcome surprise among them, and Shinjo is also a delight. The others have much to learn to be the most of what they can be, by my estimation."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 5:15 am

"But don't we all?"

He chuckled.

"Part of why I'm here, though... I mean, Reiko's a friend, and I would have come anyway, but the fact that a Kami needs mortal help to have even a chance of escape? Serves as an object lesson."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue May 26, 2020 6:37 am

"Escape, if he's lucky." Shinsei fixed Sora with a meaningful gaze. "I shouldn't need to mention what might be necessary he is too far gone when we arrive."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 6:39 am

"Aye, well. I was born a Hikaru, and death is kinder than slavery."

A shudder.

"Especially given the vision I had. To be no more than a puppet..."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue May 26, 2020 6:58 am

"I'm not saying anyone should stand ready to strike the Kami down, should he be lost, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to be prepared to, just in case." Shinsei watched as Sora shuddered. "It might be more merciful that way."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 7:04 am

"But how would one go about it? You wouldn't just need to defeat a Kami infused with the taint of Jigoku, you'd probably also need to deal with Reiko. And also Hantei and Shinjo."

He glanced sidelong at the hooded sage.

"Love, after all, is a powerful motivator. Reiko has lived for little else. Hantei and Shinjo... are not likely to believe they can fail in this. And most importantly, we need to keep our hope strong, or despair might well lead us to fail either way."

Sora was reminded of one of Bayushi's followers he'd seen once- a woman walking across a thin rope stretched between two trees.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue May 26, 2020 7:19 am

"At the worst, he will fight, and give us no choice in the matter. Your vision likely made that clear enough. But otherwise I do not know. Yes, he could come out unscathed, but future generations may need to be ready, if not us. It isn't about optimism, it's about necessary protection. I'll not have us march into Jigoku, past untold dangers, only to lower our blades and loosen our armor before with one enemy still before us."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 am

"I think the more they exist in Ningen-do without the influence of Tengoku, the more... mortal they become. Some glow more than others, after all. Might be a thing there."

Part of why Hantei still set his teeth on edge.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue May 26, 2020 7:51 am

"And more reasons for concern. But, perhaps, not the best focus for now." Shinsei's eyes slid back over to Sora. "This vision, how do you feel when you think about it? Not how you feel about it, but how does it affect your body? Does anything feel different?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 am

"It does not. I awoke to see a woman I saw myself murdering sitting beside the stone. She spoke with it. The stone says it is only of this realm."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue May 26, 2020 8:28 am

"Mmm, that is good. Even brief, indirect contact with Jigoku can leave a mark. I would advise caution using your gift the closer we get to our destination, if you're already experiencing such effects."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 am

"I don't always have full control over it, but rest assured, I've got little intention of focusing my attention on anything like that in the days ahead."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 am

"Let the rocks be rocks and the trees be trees." Shinsei nodded softly.

Run by GM Bakuriel

Return to “Shinsei's Tent”