Straw Bath (D1, EA)

Shoji Haka

Straw Bath (D1, EA)

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue May 19, 2020 10:32 pm

It had taken a few minutes for the Anjing tribesman to properly explain to Haka just what was so special about a hole in the ground that was filled with water. She still had her doubts, but after making her way to the building and stripping out of her robe (and setting up a number of small straw dolls around the bath for protection), she finally lowered herself into the water.

Eventually, she relaxed, acknowledging that being able to bathe without the wind, current, or fish bumping into your legs was pretty alright. She undid the braids in her hair, allowing it to fan out around her in the water like the white tendrils of a jellyfish as she took a few moments to relax.
Shoji Tribe • Shaman • Blind • Enlightened • Earth • Void • Haunted

Glory: 2.0

I gave you blood, blood, gallons of the stuff,
I gave you all that you can drink and it has never been enough

Ongaku no Ryoko

Re: Straw Bath (D1, EA)

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Tue May 19, 2020 11:00 pm

This was a novel idea, and Ryoko wasn't going to miss out on the idea of a heated bath!

Hot water used for your body, and not your food. What would they think of next?

As she entered, she was surprised to see someone else was already in the bath. She wasn't sure... what was the protocol for that? Were you supposed to share? Standing awkwardly near the edge of the bath, wrapped in a rough towel, she squatted down, gazing at the pale woman thoughtfully.

Spooky.

After another pause, she finally asked, in her tomboyish alto, "Eto.... excuse me. Do you know if we are supposed to take turns? It seems big enough for lots of people, but I don't know how this works."
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue May 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Haka looks up toward the voice. "This one has no idea," she admits, before motioning with her hand. "There is much room, though. It should fit two people well enough."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm

"Oh. If you're sure."

Ryoko took in the woman's eyes, and realized that she probably didn't need to worry about her peeping.

She slipped off the towel, because it wasn't meant to get wet, right?

Sliding into the water, she gave a squeak of surprise. That was hotter than expected. But it felt... nice. It was the opposite of sitting by the fire after a trip to the water buffalo herds.

With a faint sigh of comfort, she added, cheerfully, "I'm Ongaku no Ryoko, of the Takemori caravans. Yoroshiku!"
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue May 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Haka blinks in surprise. "Bath woman should not speak her name so directly," she warns, looking vaguely uncomfortable. "If there are hungry ghosts nearby, it will only invite their attention, which is not wanted by any."

She waits for a moment, as if expecting something to happen, then seems to relax. "There are people known as Shoji Haka," she explains, as way of example.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 am

Ryoko seemed very confused, but tried to hide it... and then realized this person who might be known as bath woman couldn't see.

"Eto... I don't... know anyone named that. Should I?"

Glancing around at mention of ghosts, she added, "Are ghosts... common here? I've never met one before..."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 12:17 am

"Bath woman has recently met one," Haka says, turning to face her direction. "Ghosts come from people who die. People in this land still die, yes?" She makes a 'if one, then the other' gesture.

"This place should be safe," she adds, gesturing toward the small straw dolls that surround the bath. "This one made certain to set up many fetiches to distract any hungry ghosts. They are not proper wards, though, so there is a shaman and a bath woman, to keep them safe, just in case."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 12:22 am

"Oh."

Ryoko contemplated that.

"Well... I appreciate that. I'd hate to get eaten by a ghost. That sounds very unpleasant."

Stretching, she added, thoughtfully, "I do not know the Shoji tribe... are they from near here?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 am

"It is very unpleasant. They can reach right into one's stomach with their hands and rip out the insides, even through armor." She shakes her head. "But maybe that is too unpleasant a talk for such a comfortable place?"

She starts running her hands through her hair, working out the kinks as she washes it. "The Shoji are from the Forest of Dreamers, far to the north, and far to the west. It was quite a long journey."

Haka pauses, as if listening to a distant sound, then shakes her head. "No, not now." There's a single splash in the water in front of her, which she ignores.

"What of your tribe, bath woman? The Takemori? Are they near this place?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 am

That was terrifying.

Ryoko just blanched at the description, hugging her stomach, and then nodded along as she said where she came from, making a mental note to never ever go there.

"They are not too far - it is spring so they are moving east now. We move along a route marked out by generations - taking our herds to graze on fresh fields each season. Hills and marsh, mostly, water buffalo and goats don't much care for the far west forest or the far east coast, so our caravans don't go quite so far."

A faint smile. "We tend to keep moving along, the human tribe with the buffalo go first, the ogre and the goats follow - so as to avoid scaring anyone."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 1:34 am

Haka listens intently as she continues washing her hair. "Nomads," she says, nodding her head in understanding. "Questions, though. What are 'buffalos' and what are 'ogres?' This one does not know these creatures."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 am

Really?

That was unexpected. Perhaps welcome though.

"Buffalo are large furry animals, four legs, and very sturdy. We use them for many things, in many ways they are the wealth of the tribe. A single buffalo can feed an entire feast, and the leather and bones make many instruments and clothes."

A pause, as she considered her second answer. "Ogres are like ningen, only bigger and stronger, with big teeth and horns, and they live a very long time... they had a powerful kindgom a long time ago, but the Nezumi conquered them... but some escaped. Some of them came up to our tribe one winter, long ago, and were starving... so my ancestors welcomed them in. They've stayed with us ever since - my mother was one of them. I wish I could be as big and strong as an ogre, but children like me, even if we live a little longer than normal, tend to be mostly ningen."

She added, thoughtfully, "Children like me, without married parents in the tribe, we are taken to be tribe Ongaku - we perform the rituals."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 am

"Like shaman?" Haka still seems a bit confused. "What are ningen and nezumi?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 2:23 am

"Ningen... it's what the ogres call mortal people... humans like us."

She frowned. "I'm surprised... I thought you would have heard of Nezumi, they have a big kingdom to the south - it only got weaker recently when the demigods fell from the sky. They're big rat people. They enslaved the ogres when they defeated them."

Tapping her chin, she added, "Now your turn... what's a shaman?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 2:38 am

"Ah, humans." She shrugs at the Nezumi. "Shoji lands are much farther to the north. There are no rat-people there. This one shall be wary."

She turns her head and starts washing the hair on the other side. "Shamans speak with the spirits and invoke their power for the betterment of the tribe. This one primarily deals with elemental spirits and the great emptiness, and only rarely with hungry ghosts. Sometimes with a quiet ghost."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 2:41 am

"Oh... so like a hag! I heard stories about the old hags, but they're gone now..."

She quirked an eyebrow, and then belatedly realized it was a wasted gesture, saying 'So... you can use the power of the elements? That's... well it's amazing."

Splashing the water between her fingers so it shot out with little slurping noises, she added, thoughtfully, "How do you talk to them? Is it a secret, or do they just use strange words?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 am

"Sort of like a hag. There is one back home that visited this one on occasion when this one became sick. She was a skilled healer."

"It is something this one has always been able to do." Haka gestures towards her eyes. "The spirits mark their chosen. White hair, clouded eyes... those are a few of the signs. Normal words, and blood to draw their attention. This one can show bath woman if she wishes."

A pause. "Not in the bath, though. No reason to bloody it up."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 am

"Blood? That sounds painful."

Ryoko frowned, concerned. "I hope not too much, that would get dangerous."

Another pause, "The ogres didn't tell me anything about needing blood... maybe they didn't want to scare me..."

Memories of old conversations with hulking figures, telling tales to her child self... "So you really do talk to ghosts? They do things for you?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 3:09 am

"It is painful, but most things are. That is part of the sacrifice, this one suspects." She holds up a hand, displaying a wrist that is a lattice of scars both old and fresh. "The more one asks, the more must be given."

At the question, Haka eagles her hand. "Talk to ghosts, yes. More often than this one would desire. They do not often do things for this one... usually it is trying to redirect them away from others." There's another splash near her, and she sighs. "Or feeding them blood to keep them docile."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 20, 2020 3:17 am

"That sounds..." Horrible.

"Hard."

She sounded sympathetic.

"There is no way to make them leave you alone forever?"

Return to “The Bathhouse”