(D1, EE, Open) Beery Good

Nanzi

Re: (D1, EE, Open) Beery Good

Post by Nanzi » Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 am

Shoji Haka wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:04 am
"It is a very good thing," she agrees. "Better if he can do it more than once."
Nanzi chuckled and said, “Nanzi would not dare try such a trick again, just like tricking the Gods of the Winds such things are best done only once lest one use up the luck that got them there. Nanzi is curious though, you say your people have a portal to the lands of the dead like a gateway?”
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 am

Umeno treated her own cup with a lot less fanfare. She took a sip as soon as it arrived, giving a small grunt as the only acknowledgement that she appreciated the taste. "I'd be a fool to follow the man and take his name with my own if I hadn't met him. His clan isn't so big that I don't imagine he's met every single person that's sworn to him, or at least seen them and observed them."

The girl took another sip from her cup, a thoughtful frown on her face a moment. "What he's like... I suppose I should be kind to his image. He's most certainly thoughtful, deeply so. More so than a simple woman like I could ever hope to understand. That thoughtfulness makes him cautious, but he can be prideful about his abilities and power. He's also been called cynical before, but I think that's just more of his caution showing through. After all, you see enough of this world, and it can be easy to believe the worst of it."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 am

"True, there aren't many of you yet." She definitely put the stress on the yet. She'd seen the writing on the wall. The clans would grow and the tribes would fade. It was like watching the ocean wear down the shoreline. The shore could fight, but it would all be sand one day, inexorably, inevitably.

"The world is an unforgiving place. A cynic to some might be a realist to others." She took a sip and shrugged. It was acceptable. She preferred kumis. Sweeter. They needed to find something sweeter to brew. Maybe honey? Could you do that? "Why be kind about his image, though? He's a god, isn't he? What could we possibly do to that?"
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Wed May 20, 2020 9:43 am

Umeno shrugged again, actually giving a low chuckle. "Of course, but I'm a foul mouthed, cynical brat of a woman, and I think I'm even more cynical than HE is. A woman even worse than I was might call him haughty, overly proud, conceited, or arrogant, but I'm much too good a vassal to say any such things. Besides, even if someone were to say such things, no one said they were bad qualities. Makes the 'God' more human if you ask me."

She took another large drink from her cup, relishing the sensation and flavor.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 am

Since the Scorpion seemed to go full-in on the cup, partake of it, and wasn't immediately dying from it, so too did Miyako pick up the cup and take a sip. Yep - definitely tasted better than it looked! She took another as she listened, and then a third in quick succession before setting the cup back down - she had to remind herself that this was her first tastes and to slow down and enjoy it, damnit.

"So he, this Bayushi, is... approachable, then. At least while he can be. Yet cautious all the same. One that thinks, one that has seen the land for themselves. That matches well with what my cousins have described. That is... good, I guess." Miyako thought about picking up the cup again but stilled herself from doing so, at least for a few more moments. She looked over at Phi.

"The traders that pass through the forest certainly make him seem different, certainly. Much is said about the blinding beauty, fine grace, incredible strength, and so on of some of the others... not so with that one. But as you say it, he has seen the world, walked through the tribes, has likely learned much of the people that dwell within, but has also seen much of those that dwell Outside. Brothers and sisters are family, but they do not always see eye to eye, and it sounds as if the one my cousins walk with very much sees the world in different light - or lack of it, perhaps. For every light, a shadow cast. One that recognizes a shadow exists." She paused again, looking back to Umeno.

"What game is it that you lost?"
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am

Phi chuckled into her cup, though she set it down after only a small sip. This wasn't so much a savoring act as it was working through the drink. She wasn't going to be ordering a second. She could be a very picky woman at times, and very prone to preferring the things of her own people, over those found elsewhere. This stuff was going to take getting used to. The laughter came when Umeno said, without actually saying, what someone might say about Bayushi, if one weren't inclined to speak as well about him. Arrogant, proud, cynical, probably a know it all, but bent more towards the practical. She put that together.

She was about to say something when Miyako asked the question she'd thought better than to ask. But she did want the answer to it. It might tell her something. Her eyes scanned over at Umeno, the curiousity unwavering.
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Nanzi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 am
Nanzi chuckled and said, “Nanzi would not dare try such a trick again, just like tricking the Gods of the Winds such things are best done only once lest one use up the luck that got them there. Nanzi is curious though, you say your people have a portal to the lands of the dead like a gateway?”
"The Shoji do not have a... portal? But there is doorway of sorts to the ghost realm in our forest. We keep it shut so that the rest of you can..." Haka makes a vague gesture with her hand. "...whatever it is you do. Carve words onto trees."

She sips at her drink again.
Shoji Tribe • Shaman • Blind • Enlightened • Earth • Void • Haunted

Glory: 2.0

I gave you blood, blood, gallons of the stuff,
I gave you all that you can drink and it has never been enough

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Umeno raised a brow before grunting. She was hardly an intellectual, but her response was more Togashi than Hida. "Life."

She took another large sip.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed May 20, 2020 7:20 pm

Shoji Haka wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:16 pm
"The Shoji do not have a... portal? But there is doorway of sorts to the ghost realm in our forest. We keep it shut so that the rest of you can..." Haka makes a vague gesture with her hand. "...whatever it is you do. Carve words onto trees."

She sips at her drink again.
Nanzi chuckled, “The Crane do not carve words into trees, we serve as the voice and example of the Empire. A great people must produce great works like art and culture, it is what separates the barbarous from the civilized.”

He said warmly, “Nanzi thanks the Shoji for their sacrifice perhaps in time we can share that burden and find a way to seal this gateway if it is so troublesome. The resources at our disposal are vast.”
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 10:33 pm

Nanzi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:20 pm
Nanzi chuckled, “The Crane do not carve words into trees, we serve as the voice and example of the Empire. A great people must produce great works like art and culture, it is what separates the barbarous from the civilized.”
Haka's eyebrows raise. "Perhaps the husband is not quite as informed as he thinks? This one spoke at length with a Crane earlier this day about the words he carves into trees, as he was carving words into a tree."
He said warmly, “Nanzi thanks the Shoji for their sacrifice perhaps in time we can share that burden and find a way to seal this gateway if it is so troublesome. The resources at our disposal are vast.”
"Perhaps," she agrees, in a tone that implies she didn't really think such a thing was possible. The Crane might have resources, but they didn't seem to know the first thing about ghosts. "It would be a better outcome than ghosts sweeping through the world and devouring everyone. If nothing else, would help to have more Kusabi to choose from."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Nanzi chuckled, “Ah Doji Kaze, Nanzi suspects he is… different. My wife found him and he was… in need of her guidance, and although he has changed much over that time not all things simply fade away. Nanzi and those he associates with do not simply carve trees, poetry and other arts tend to be more popular. But if Kaze can make the tree carvings artistic and pleasing then it shall be so.”

“I know that she favors poetry and song, and artistic ventures in nearly any form,” he said of his wife with a warm smile. “Nanzi is a poor student, but poetry seems the easiest to grasp for Nanzi.”

“The Spider have some understanding of the spirits and their leader Reiko is is well versed in the other worlds dominated by Spirits. I am sure she would be pleased to speak with a shaman so well versed in the ways of the dead."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 pm

"This one does not truly see the point in such endeavors, but Doji Kaza made some convincing arguments as to their worth in the future, so she will keep an open mind."

When the matter of the Spider rolls around, Haka finishes off her drink a d sets the mug back on the table. "There is a spider tribe? Do they also seek to emulate the ways of their totem?" She tries to imagine what that might entail. "Crawling on things? Tying people up with rope, perhaps?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 am

Nanzi chuckled and said, "One could hope that would make them an interesting if odd bunch indeed."

"Nanzi knows that they study the spirit realms and mystic arts, many that were once of the tribe Isawa are now children of the Spider."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 am

"This one would be interested in speaking with them, if the opportunity arises. She has so rarely encountered so many different people in one place."

Haka motions to her mug. "Is there more of the grain juice?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 am

Jigutsuji nodded and poured more grain juice and said, “Allow me, I am unsure if this is the soju or the sake? It warms the soul all the same.”

Nanzi said to the shaman, “Nanzi can introduce you to the current Champion of the Spider, she is a good friend to Nanzi. How should we name you, and avoid giving your name?”

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 am

Bayushi Umeno wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm
Umeno raised a brow before grunting. She was hardly an intellectual, but her response was more Togashi than Hida. "Life."

She took another large sip.
Phi chuckled and smirked behind her veil. Good answer. It was a complete non-answer, but a more polite way of getting across the whole 'that really isn't any of your business, now is it?' that was inherent in the situation. They'd only just met. It wasn't time for their lives' stories, not yet anyway. Maybe on the second day, with a lot of ... admittedly better drinks.

Another sip and she closed her eyes. "I ... should like to meet him one day. I admit that I'm curious what sort of man he is. I'm curious about them all, but the stories that Reiko shared about him interested me more than most."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 am

Nanzi wrote: Jigutsuji nodded and poured more grain juice and said, “Allow me, I am unsure if this is the soju or the sake? It warms the soul all the same.”
"Thank you!" She pulls the mug close once it is filled.
Nanzi said to the shaman, “Nanzi can introduce you to the current Champion of the Spider, she is a good friend to Nanzi. How should we name you, and avoid giving your name?”
"The husband is doing it now. So, one could say 'There is powerful and beautiful shaman known as Shoji Haka' and this would not be bad. Or one could speak of Haka while she is not present. It is using a name directly while she is present that is dangerous."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 21, 2020 1:49 am

Nanzi nodded as Jigutsuji asked, "I am not from these lands, what else can you tell us of the Shoji?" The young Doji was genuinely interested in the subject being a stranger himself in many ways.

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Thu May 21, 2020 2:14 am

"Not... too much, unfortunately." Haka frowns a d takes a sip of her drink. "This one has lived on the outskirts of her village for ten winters, due to the dangers of her companion. What I remember is from when I was still little. Much of the tribe lives in the forest and hunts or gathers food from there. Deer meat and plantains were much of this one's food, but sometimes the villagers would bring her cheeses or fermented fruit juices that were pleasant." She clicks her tongue in amusement. "Often boys trying to get into her dress, not that any succeeded."

She taps her chin with a finger as she thinks. "This one could hear music sometimes, and that was nice. Marriages are common, but they are more simple than whatever the Crane seem to be doing. This one doesn't know much about those, as she was not allowed to attend the ceremonies."

Haka's brow furrows and her lips purse. "This one should perhaps have left her tribe earlier than she did, upon looking back."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 am

“Nanzi is familiar with being an outsider, he left his home at thirteen with a parting gift of an arrowhead still in the shoulder,” he patted the shoulder with a chuckle. “Though I returned and now the tribe now mostly follows Nanzi and my wife; when we complete our mission you will be most worthy, and show the Shoji they should have treated you with more respect and Compassion.”

“Or as the Divine say, Compassion,” he mused.

Jigutsuji chimed in with, “If it pleases the shaman, this one is thankful to her for sharing her story. Is there some way to be rid of this dangerous companion? It seems to bring nothing but ill and evil into your life.” He followed this with a warding gesture.

Return to “Pure River Brewery”