Philosopy! (Chisei Q&A)

Seppun Chisei

Philosopy! (Chisei Q&A)

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 am

Chisei was made to ask a lot of questions. I asked... some of them. You can ask more!

I will add apologies to various scene partners. I seem to have failed once again to connect properly to my character. Hopefully I'll get it all figured out by Dawn 3...
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Re: Philosopy! (Chisei Q&A)

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:45 am

One thing I've learned - if a character isn't connecting, don't try to force it. IT just makes things unfun for you, and potentially others.
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 am

Thank you for some fun scenes, even if Character click no oni tried to interfere.

Where there any RL philosophers you had in mind when developing Chisei? How does he feel about being the most famous marriage celebrant in Rokugan?
Crab • Seidou • Niece of the Daimyo • Surprisingly Literate • A Little Awkward
• Here To Help • Front Line Combatant • Recorder Of History

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:31 am

Anjing Xia wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 am
Thank you for some fun scenes, even if Character click no oni tried to interfere.

Where there any RL philosophers you had in mind when developing Chisei? How does he feel about being the most famous marriage celebrant in Rokugan?
Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am
What about Chisei? We didn't interact too much but I followed him. What was the inspiration there?
For whatever reasons, Dawn makes me feel classical Greek. Maybe that's why it keeps not clicking for me? Anyway, last game it was an epic hero, this time it was a philosopher. I did some reading, looking for someone who would fit with L5R cosmology, and found Democritus.

Democritus more or less had very early atomic theory; that is, all matter is actually made up of atoms, tiny indivisible pieces with empty space between them. I called that empty space Void, added some other theories, and had a character! With things to talk about with other people! Alas, my one formal attempt at it worked rather poorly. I also wanted to work with kami/learn non-blood magic, but that also didn't happen.

As for him being the most famous marriage celebrant... Chisei was very nice, but I found him very arrogant, in an extremely quiet sort of way. He was honored to be asked, and would have been very outwardly humble about it, but of course you would ask the best person for the job, which was obviously him! And he would be happy to do so again, and teach others to do the same.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:34 am

If I had done the ceremony (I also had a good roll), would that have bought me an Enemy?

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 am

What? No.

Although OOC I would have been pretty bummed, since this was my only event.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

Fair enough. I liked your version - mine would have started with me cutting my arm ( to cast Fire Kami's Blessing), and riffing off blood and it being important.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:57 pm

I could see you spinning your wheels on clicking with the guy a time or two... what was Plan A?
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:57 pm
I could see you spinning your wheels on clicking with the guy a time or two... what was Plan A?
Well, I had two plan As, neither of which worked.

Plan A1 was philosophy! I wanted to talk with various other smort folk. Get their ideas on things. Work on the theology/cosmology/physical and spiritual nature of Rokugan a bit. I was going to have various threads open threads to debate things, I was going to try to partner with someone else smort to work on a theory...

What ended up happening is my first open philosophy thread got rather significantly derailed. I talked philosophy a bit with Saruko, but it was more inwardly focused; as makes sense, with a Dragon! I'm shy about approaching GMs, and Shinsei seemed so busy... anyway, long story short, I got a bit of that, but not much.

Plan A2 was culture shock, as someone who was newly married into a different tribe. And then, the wife went inactive D5! I feel like there's a Rodney Dangerfield style joke to be made there... it's too early to think of one. I did get a bit of that in threads with Dawei, but again, not much.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 am

Seppun Chisei wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:48 pm
What ended up happening is my first open philosophy thread got rather significantly derailed. I talked philosophy a bit with Saruko, but it was more inwardly focused; as makes sense, with a Dragon! I'm shy about approaching GMs, and Shinsei seemed so busy... anyway, long story short, I got a bit of that, but not much.
:cry: My philosophy isn't good enough for you?

I guess I could've gone with our backup ideas of playing a pair of philosophy-quarreling spouses, but I might've fallen afoul of the curse of "Touki's Curse". ;)

As always, thank you for the scenes and the fun! Once again, a pleasure to play with you. :D

Apart from the libraries, what will Chisei be doing now? Go look for his wife?
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:32 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:07 am

:cry: My philosophy isn't good enough for you?

I guess I could've gone with our backup ideas of playing a pair of philosophy-quarreling spouses, but I might've fallen afoul of the curse of "Touki's Curse". ;)

As always, thank you for the scenes and the fun! Once again, a pleasure to play with you. :D

Apart from the libraries, what will Chisei be doing now? Go look for his wife?
Haha, as I was writing that, I was like "Huh, I hope Faily won't take offense to me saying I wasn't satisfied with the philosophizing I did this game!" :lol:

But no, we did some great stuff! I just wanted another 2-3 Sarukos to satisfy my desire for philosophy conversations! Except I couldn't handle that many monkeys...

I did really like that idea! But Saruko added a lot during this game, there's no question of that. Maybe we can do something like that some other time.

As for what comes next for Chisei... well, first he'll meet up with his wife, who is totally NOT DEAD, DAMNIT. But actually, I found that Chisei really wanted to teach people. It seemed to be part of thinking he knew best, but also being kind. I expect, going forward, he'll be doing a lot of that. Perhaps as someone with no size related advantages/disadvantages, he can eventually be known as "Medium Teacher", or something.

Return to “Q&A”