Deaf Girl Q&A~

Shinjo Miuna

Deaf Girl Q&A~

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks, everyone that had threads with me! This was so much fun to do! Thanks for such a great introduction into the world of pbp!

Ask away!
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Seppun Chisei

Re: Deaf Girl Q&A~

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:45 am

Hey, glad you could join us! It's always fun to see new people, and Miuna seemed neat! And quite challenging!

Can you tell us a bit about the beginning and the end? That is, how did you come up with Miuna? And what do you see in her future?
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am

Seppun Chisei wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:45 am
Hey, glad you could join us! It's always fun to see new people, and Miuna seemed neat! And quite challenging!

Can you tell us a bit about the beginning and the end? That is, how did you come up with Miuna? And what do you see in her future?
Miuna sort of created herself lol, all my characters seem to. I am hearing impaired so I thought it would be neat to portray. Also I love a challenge! I wanted her to be unique and she really nailed it for me.

You know, I'm still musing on that! I'd like her to be useful in the world building going on. I didn't really have a goal in mind when I started but now I have a few avenues I could pursue so im thinking about that. Seeing the effect of the language spreading was really cool, and delightfully unexpected! What I wanted most was for her to be fun to interact with and I think I succeeded haha. I want her to do something interesting now. Just no clue what yet.

What about Chisei? We didn't interact too much but I followed him. What was the inspiration there?

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:52 am

I definitely enjoyed our few scenes together even if Miuna ended up thinking Jin didn't believe in her.

On one hand it was tempting to try and have a lot of scenes with a past student but on the other I didn't want the character to be in Jin's shadow in any way. Hope we found a decent balance and so happy you enjoyed the game!
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 am

Jin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:52 am
I definitely enjoyed our few scenes together even if Miuna ended up thinking Jin didn't believe in her.

On one hand it was tempting to try and have a lot of scenes with a past student but on the other I didn't want the character to be in Jin's shadow in any way. Hope we found a decent balance and so happy you enjoyed the game!
Yes, so much fun! And idk if you saw the thread, it was just Miuna having a typical teen freak out that her mentor wanted her to go home bc she wasn't good enough. Not that he wanted to protect her bc he cares hahaha. That was a fun scene.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 am

Your concept was really neat! Did you have any expectations about the signing thing when you first started and how it would all work out? How surprised were you when a lot of people were interested in learning it? :)
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am

Oh, that's terrific! Well, challenge certainly met!
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

Miyako wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 am
Your concept was really neat! Did you have any expectations about the signing thing when you first started and how it would all work out? How surprised were you when a lot of people were interested in learning it? :)
Thank you! I really enjoyed interacting with Miyako too, but you anyway knew that hehe.

I've never actually been in a pbp before and I had not even known what they were until I saw my husband playing in Hollow Throne and wanted to learn what it was about. Jumping into Dawn seemed like a really great starting point and I'm so happy Canary helped me push past my fears because it ended up being a really cool experience!

I wasn't sure if I could even work out making her deaf to begin with so i had no idea where she would end up. So I was really surprised when suddenly everyone wanted to learn a new language! I didn't think it would get that kind of attention. I thought maybe a few characters Miuna was close with, but it actually helped Miuna cross paths with people she wouldn't normally have and that made it even more fun!

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:51 pm

Only got two sessions on learning Sign - was hoping you would do it a few more times, but the game didn't seem to allow. Will she be back, giving more lessons in HF3?
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Shoot, I'd have squeezed in a private lesson if you'd asked! I even think I said something similar in my Open Thread, sorry if you missed that u.u

I might reprise her, I think it would be neat to see. This was my first time playing in something of this magnitude, and the interactions have been overwhelmingly positive. There are some changes to my writing style I'd like to explore for future games. And I'm trying to work out a goal for spreading the language so people can buy it without having to devote active game time to lessons.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:14 am

Miuna was adorable <3

Deaf characters aren't often seen, so that was pretty neat! Also liked the sign language lessons even if I didn't get to finish it myself. :D

Will Miuna's sister continue to stay by Miuna's side even after she marries Hanzou?
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:26 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:14 am
Miuna was adorable <3

Deaf characters aren't often seen, so that was pretty neat! Also liked the sign language lessons even if I didn't get to finish it myself. :D

Will Miuna's sister continue to stay by Miuna's side even after she marries Hanzou?
Actually I was thinking not! Hanzou knows the language so it seems silly that Aono couldn't have her own life too. Maybe they'll live in the same house or be neighbors, idk!

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 am

As much as he'd like to, I imagine Hanzou won't always be by Miuna's side. They'll have duties to perform for the clan and will be persuing their goals. Aono will be much better suited to help Miuna teach sign language to others screeech.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Miuna was and is positively adorable. I enjoyed the scenes with Phi as she attached herself to her savior. I'm a little curious if you have thought of reprising her again. I know that they taint can bring unique complications for a soft hearted character like her.

Also, I try to avoid this question as a rule, but occasionally I am curious. What were her thoughts of Phi?
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 pm
Miuna was and is positively adorable. I enjoyed the scenes with Phi as she attached herself to her savior. I'm a little curious if you have thought of reprising her again. I know that they taint can bring unique complications for a soft hearted character like her.

Also, I try to avoid this question as a rule, but occasionally I am curious. What were her thoughts of Phi?
I am definitely considering reprising, I think it would be fun! I'm super curious to find out if/how the taint changes things.

I loved Phi and so did Miuna! It was really sweet to watch their relationship unfurl. And I'm betting that spending that time with her has made Phi a bit less terrified of the prospect of having a child. Miuna could see inside Phi from the start, so writing their scenes came naturally for me. I like that Phi was more of an open book character, it made collaborating run a bit more smoothly. I loved Phi's design, and found it so adorable that Miuna was so struck by her beauty and Phi was like whaaaa? Haha. Miuna still probably thinks of Phi frequently, especially when she needs to be brave.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 pm

The irony being that Phi failed almost every actual Fear check she was ever given. I nearly asked to switch her from Failure of Honesty to Failure of Courage, but decided it was just the logical fear of a young woman faced with demons for the first time. But they both got through it, and as Nanzi said often enough: Courage isn't being fearless, but rather mastering and putting down one's fears.

I found Miuna to be one of the more surprising and positive interactions in the game. Nozomi had difficulties understanding her presence at first. She struggled with Haruyo, Haka and Miuna because she felt that they were being put at needless risk, where Reiko had no choice. In time, she came to understand 1) that Haka is fucking terrifying, 2) Miuna was more than capable of taking care of herself and healing others and 3) that maybe her pre-conceptions about what made people tough weren't remotely accurate. Miuna helped her do some serious growing up, and softened her perspective at an important point, which helped her decide to forego the path of the ninja/rappu and stop calling herself "a killer." I had honestly thought that she would embrace 'this is what I am, this is what I do, but I can be a productive member of society even with bloody hands' as a motif, but characters like Shinsei and Miuna guided her more towards a Scout's path. It was a great interaction.

And yeah, she's so had trouble understanding people finding her physically attractive. It was so weird to her. It happened enough times, however, that she eased back on the shock by the time Kinsen implied it as so.

==============

On Taint - There's a few ways to handle it, some of them more social/mental than physical. Since I know you're getting your feet wet in PbP like this, tease at the Taint rules and chat with the Mods if you do bring her back on how much she'd have and what you want to do there. There's definitely options.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Jin

Post by Jin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:48 pm

Did I miss you getting tainted beyond the .01? Because you can choose to run with it if you want but it is also fully possible to live forever at that level and never know it (unless the GMs decide to run with it).

An example roll for an Earth 2 character - no bonuses no penalties. After 5 years they've only risen from 0.1 to 0.5 - still the asymptomatic level. They might eventually break 1 but if their Earth increases or the GM lets them assume they voided they're probably not going to ever reach noticeable taint. (Again, unless you or the GMs want them to notice it)
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:29 am

Nozomi wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 pm
The irony being that Phi failed almost every actual Fear check she was ever given.
That was the greatest thing though. Getting to read her thought process on everything throughout her journey was very fun. And Miuna appreciated Nozomi because she was frank with her. Didn't necessarily tell her everything, but also never made her second guess they were equals. Just two kids trying their best while scared shitless, growing into two kick-ass, confident (still sometimes scared shitless) ladies. It was very fun writing with you ♡
Nozomi wrote:
1) that Haka is fucking terrifying
Yes.
Nozomi wrote:
On Taint - There's a few ways to handle it, some of them more social/mental than physical. Since I know you're getting your feet wet in PbP like this, tease at the Taint rules and chat with the Mods if you do bring her back on how much she'd have and what you want to do there. There's definitely options.
I am definitely giving it some thought. I'm already excited for the next chapter haha.
Jin wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:48 pm
Did I miss you getting tainted beyond the .01?
Nope! Just the .01. Thank you for that though! Her earth ring is a balanced 3 so it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here!

Return to “Q&A”