Mother of Dragons, Queen of Monkeys (Saruko Q&A)

Togashi Saruko

Mother of Dragons, Queen of Monkeys (Saruko Q&A)

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 am

Aaaaask away!

This was Saruko's last game so I'm open to answer (most) stuff.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Re: Mother of Dragons, Queen of Monkeys (Saruko Q&A)

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:48 am

Ayyy, great writing with you, as always. It was fun to see how Saruko changed from the last game to this one.

Well, since she's retiring (from pbp, anyway), tell us what happens with her? More bebés? Train up a group of attack monkeys? Geez, I hope not.
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 am

What was it like being the morale officer?
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Togashi Nadare

Post by Togashi Nadare » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:25 am

Did you ever finish the banner? I missed that :)

Hope you enjoyed the Togashi ties?
Dragon ClanEarthTattooed • Herbalist • Sane • Enlightened
Samurai Without Borders (Co-founder)
Tattoos: Lion (Chest); Balance (Back)
Equipment: Yumi, knife, sturdy clothing, travel pack.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:13 pm

No questions, just some praise. Shirayuki was such a fun character to follow! And hey, she was right about Miuna and Hanzou, even if Miuna didn't want to admit it then! Haha. I'm sad we didn't get more time together but I enjoyed writing what I did with you ♡
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:31 pm

How disappointed not to get to pick Sora's bride personally? And that he told other people first?
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:52 pm

How was it to be the social/artistic focused one in a big girls with dai-tsuchi and wizards party?

Do you plan to spin this particular story into a tale, and what will it say?
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Sorry for not much interaction, but Togashi is the one Kami that Kyosei actively doesn't like. So, he just tends to avoid the Dragon entirely.
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Seppun Chisei wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:48 am
Ayyy, great writing with you, as always. It was fun to see how Saruko changed from the last game to this one.

Well, since she's retiring (from pbp, anyway), tell us what happens with her? More bebés? Train up a group of attack monkeys? Geez, I hope not.
Ayyy! As always, thank you for the scenes. I got a lot of good moments with Chisei, especially talking philosophy! I really enjoyed going deep into that this game, and to really put thought into what it would mean to lead, gude, and teach a Family within a Clan (especially one as contemplative as the Dragon), and Chisei was great for that.

Monkey training might happen! You never know! :twisted:

Not sure about any more kids yet. First go around with that was pretty intense for Saruko, as I tried to keep it somewhat in line with canon in terms of Togashi's love affair and son in that timeline. Though in this case, Saruko had a bit more protection from going blind+hair turning white+dying in childbirth (stronger spiritual power, Great Destiny. Those being my reasoning). Maybe I'll chat with Birb about it. :D

Going forward, Saruko will first spend lots of time with her family because she has missed them! Then she's going to focus on becoming a proper leadership figure within the Dragon, and to begin teaching those who have chosen to follow her. And eventually founding the city that will at some point become Great Falls Castle (or Great Falls City first?).
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:43 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 pm
Monkey training might happen! You never know! :twisted:
OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:14 am

It was fun sitting around the campfire sharing stories! Saruko was one of the couple folks that really helped Miyako in navigating a whole world of potential futures and developments and I enjoyed those conversations greatly. :)
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:27 am

While Saruko was arguably one of our most court-focused and lore focused characters, and thus has less presence in combat scenes for obvious reasons, I really liked seeing her here, and that she was as important to several events as she was.

Phi was a good girl! Shinsei's kid's not going to be tainted! (whew. I was actually worried there a couple times). He's even going to have a face!

... I digress. I will say, however, that I am really looking forward to the Saru-family angles and their ties to Shinsei's line we've talked about. Nozomi won't be joining any families, as you might have guessed, but those two are definitely coming to visit and make plots and plans.

Did you have fun this time around? What's it like to play one of the courtly machines in a shadowlands event?
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:28 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:20 am
What was it like being the morale officer?
Beatings will continue until morale improves!

Wait, that's not right... *ahem*

Monkeys will continue until morale improves!

:twisted:

Honestly though, I had a great time with it. I considered some different character ideas for a while, because bringing courtly squishie on this trip sounded like a terrible idea! But, as game time approached, I was really in the mood to play a character that I knew would be fun for me. And I honestly don't mind being the background/support character. Support-types are my favorite types to play in a lot of games. :D

Theme 2Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:29 am

So.

Sora has tasked Kinyoubi with never letting Saruko live down her little rumor-game at the expedition's outset.

What horrible Ayakashi vengeance awaits him for that? :lol:
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:02 am

Togashi Nadare wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:25 am
Did you ever finish the banner? I missed that :)

Hope you enjoyed the Togashi ties?
I did finish it, just in time for the finale too! :D It was present in the Wedding-scene on Day 16.

I greatly enjoyed the connection between Saruko and Nadare. It was nice to have someone she deeply trusted along, and I greatly enjoyed all the scenes of them together - from philosophy talk to Nadare low-key frustrating Saruko with how much of a smartass he was compared to her. :lol: Not that she'd admit it, of course!

Looking forward to seeing more of Nadare in the future. Really liked the "first tattooed man" feel there, and he had a really interesting personality and vibe.

Theme 2Profile

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am

Good times, but the writing was on the wall even from Game 1, her relationship and closeness to Sora and basically most of what he abhors about that philosophy were probably going to form a wedge but the Bird sealed the deal it seems but even before that it felt that they were drifting apart.

Fun though.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:19 am

Will she ever shape change into a monkey or something?
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:51 am

Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:13 pm
No questions, just some praise. Shirayuki was such a fun character to follow! And hey, she was right about Miuna and Hanzou, even if Miuna didn't want to admit it then! Haha. I'm sad we didn't get more time together but I enjoyed writing what I did with you ♡
Monkey knows love when she sees it. Ohohohohohoho 8-)

And thank you. I'm glad she was enjoyable for you. I felt I was a little all over the place with no strong connections to folks this game, but I'm very glad to know my antics were enjoyable. <3

Theme 2Profile

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:53 am

Jin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:31 pm
How disappointed not to get to pick Sora's bride personally? And that he told other people first?
Not really. A little? :lol:

Her plan was more to indirectly help him find someone, hence the rumor at the start. Sora strikes her as the type of guy who would dig in his heels and refuse or think of some excuse if she pointed out a specific person and said "but what about this one?". xD So she'll just claim that her masterplan was a success. 8-)

A little sad he didn't tell her though! That's just cruel and mean!

Theme 2Profile

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:52 pm
How was it to be the social/artistic focused one in a big girls with dai-tsuchi and wizards party?

Do you plan to spin this particular story into a tale, and what will it say?
It was fun! :D

Honestly, I find that as long as you have the mindset ready to not be mechanically relevant, which I've always had with this character (no school techniques, lots of weird skills at 1 and 2, uneven spread of traits), is that I'l only be pleasantly surprised when I *am* mechanically relevant. And I was happy that the GMs included a social event at least and one that made sense too.

As mentioned earlier, I greatly enjoy playing support-roles, so I was also very mentally ready to just fluff-wise provide entertainment during the trip in forms of storytelling and music.

I am considering spending a point on making an epic tale about this adventure! Her side of the story would probably focus very much on the strength of many coming together, and the importance of family-love saving the day as well.

Kyosei of the Isawa wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:37 pm
Sorry for not much interaction, but Togashi is the one Kami that Kyosei actively doesn't like. So, he just tends to avoid the Dragon entirely.
No problem. She found his interaction on Day 1 a little odd too, and Saruko thought it rather funny that Kyosei insisted on calling the Kami "little gods".

As she knows, there's nothing "little" about them. 8-)

Theme 2Profile

Return to “Q&A”