Nanzi 2: Oni Boogaloo

Ongaku no Ryoko

Re: Nanzi 2: Oni Boogaloo

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 pm

I enjoyed Nanzi quite a lot, and I'm sorry we didn't really get any threads in which Ryoko could horrify him.

That said, will he be ok with Ogres involved in the Imperial household, or will that be another wedge in inter-clan relations?
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Phi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:14 am
It's actually hard to read the old stuff without an account, so I' curious. how'd he pull off the sun's favor exactly?
He had three challenges find a perfect thing, find the wisdom in a blade of grass, and the favor of Lady Sun; the perfect thing he had Bayushi find him the most perfect egg in the market, the blade of grass he had some words of resilience and the favor… well Saruko used her Medium powers and they went to Tengoku and encountered a Dragon and he gave his case and they offered to bring him before Lady Sun which would have probably destroyed his eyes or just wait and they bring him a letter. So, he waited and Saruko got a tattoo set for Togashi, it was a double whammy situation.
Jin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am
So if Nanzi is not reprising I may have to scrap my follow up character of Na'na-zi the nezumi outcast determined to be a samurai by following the path of the best-best samurai. Not as much fun if it won't actually drive him into apoplexy. :P
This sounds like an awesome character. I have two options I am thinking of bringing to the next game one would be his student Nanzi Jongwun, the other is a medicine woman of his tribe who joined his family. Not sure yet. But that concept sounds super fun, Jin.
Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 am
Nanzi is a character I love to hate! He's very well done and I'm so stoked to see where his story goes and what happens with the Oni! Sorry those aren't really questions lol
I honestly don't know what the interim will bring but I have suspicions and they may affect my decisions of how to handle game 3 and beyond. He is going down the tragic route but those are often my favorite characters in fiction.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Given their friction, I actually pondered what Sora would do if he'd ended up in a position to either save Nanzi's life or let him die.

Based on their limited IC interactions, I ended up deciding Sora would probably save the guy's life, because he was not aware of anything shady going on (at least until that bird, and that was so late in the game that it basically didn't count), and it's not like Nanzi's views he disagrees with are new information.

My question: Would saving Nanzi's life be the worst thing Sora could have done to him? :lol:
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Ongaku no Ryoko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 pm
I enjoyed Nanzi quite a lot, and I'm sorry we didn't really get any threads in which Ryoko could horrify him.

That said, will he be ok with Ogres involved in the Imperial household, or will that be another wedge in inter-clan relations?
Nanzi does not dislike nonhumans anymore than anything else. Nanzi has a tier system; Doji and the Crane come first, his allies in the alliance, the Clans and Empire, and basically everything else. He does not get the fuzzies for clinging to old ways of the tribes, they are done and it is not an accident he uses terms like lesser tribes or just ignores to remember names of the tribesmen when it suits him.

Nezumi are a potential threat and he finds it amusing that people either think we are best friends now or refuse to see that writing on the wall. They might be friendly for awhile but something is going to give when the Crab try to expand and the Nezumi try to recover, there is friction coming and old wounds that can be picked at.

Ogres in the Empire, if they swear fealty to a clan then they are fine with him. Nanzi cares about the Empire, everyone else is just a potential threat or resource to be exploited. He even said as much to Shinjo, he does not buy into her everyone is a potential clan samurai, because they are not. He would feel much better with the Nezumi scattered but for now that’s a Crab problem for down the road.

Nanzi needs to see how the clans shake out but he can already see that in the short term the Kirin and possibly the Dragon are just going in directions he has no liking for, and that saddens him because he is sure that will mean his relationship with Saruko will diminish but he just isn’t in step with their philosophy. Nanzi has diminished faith in the Imperial families, but much of that is with the outstanding influence Sora seems to have there and he will never support those ideals.

He respects the Throne but he sees Shiba as a weak and ineffectual leader.
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm
Given their friction, I actually pondered what Sora would do if he'd ended up in a position to either save Nanzi's life or let him die.

Based on their limited IC interactions, I ended up deciding Sora would probably save the guy's life, because he was not aware of anything shady going on (at least until that bird, and that was so late in the game that it basically didn't count), and it's not like Nanzi's views he disagrees with are new information.

My question: Would saving Nanzi's life be the worst thing Sora could have done to him? :lol:
This came up in a different way, when it came time to save Matsu. Nanzi is ambitious for himself and his children and to think some lowborn bandit has a child projected to be the Thunder puts Matsu on his radar as a potential threat to the future dominance of his children. In the end though he lives by proto-Bushido and did what was expected of him.

As for Sora saving him, that would be a bitter pill to swallow but he would accept it. It would of course probably only deepen the enmity he had, I think before he became Daimyo he would have shrugged it off but his new position and the responsibilities he has have probably made him an internally bitter man when it coms to threats, real or perceived.

Oh and Hadananzi another thing with bringing him around that came up later is the possibility of using the Raven as a point of challenge to promote the Divine Blade. Best believe he would have seen it as an affront to his Honor and a chance to prove that Heaven’s favors him.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Definitely a fan of Nanzi and bringing a bit of dystopia to Dawntopia. Good stories have both good and bad things with all sorts of complexity and reasoning.

No real questions just a hearty slap on the back for a job well-done. Always enjoyable to read Nanzi.

The oni thing is a significant inspiration thing for Kakita in the future. So thanks for inspiring stuff that gives something to interact with and enjoy in the days ahead.

Be sure to run your legal ideas past Jiyo... She probably wouldn't be opposed to a lot of them.
Ratling | Never Lost | Disturbing Countenance | Painful Bite | Fearless | Favorite Pup
Niche: 4.5 | Chieftain Class
Description
Possessions: Spiked Big Stick (Tetsubo), Yumi, Sturdy Clothes, Light Armor, Traveling Pack

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:31 am

Is Nanzi up to build the Shogunate?
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am

Not gonna lie, looking forward to the drama that will come forth out of Matsu telling Nanzi that she will be the GOAT samurai.

Nanzi's always fun to read.
Spider Clan | Bushi | Large AF | Blessed by Bishamon and Earth
Carries: Bronze Tetsubo | Fur lined hat and cloak | Bronze Sword | Travelling Pack | Shakuhachi
Accompanied by: Matsu

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:42 am

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:31 am
Is Nanzi up to build the Shogunate?
Yes, Nanzi supports a strong leader at the helm. Leading and keeping the Emperor safe from all the barbarous threats.
Noriaki no Yamadono wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am
Not gonna lie, looking forward to the drama that will come forth out of Matsu telling Nanzi that she will be the GOAT samurai.

Nanzi's always fun to read.
That would be quite the story, there may be another who will take up his mantle.

As Yoda said, there is another.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 am

On one hand, there will be drama and excitement.
On the other hand, OMG WHY NANZI?! :lol:

A bit saddened to see Nanzi and Saruko growing apart since Dawn 1, but I'm also not surprised as it was bound to happen sooner or later with some people as folks get more adjusted to their clans, or embrace different philosophies.

I'm curious though, does Nanzi really consider Shinsei to be a charlatan, or does he see him as a threat of sorts more?
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Tyrus

Post by Tyrus » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Nanzi is great fun for me I loved reading your threads and was stoked to see him "take the bait" with the oni stuff. I always appreciate people who can be counter to the group feel and role play those since it causes a lot of conflict. You have some very neat ideas that I am excited to engage with in the coming games.
Assistant to the GM - Panda - Occasionally wise - Often Capricious

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 am
On one hand, there will be drama and excitement.
On the other hand, OMG WHY NANZI?! :lol:

A bit saddened to see Nanzi and Saruko growing apart since Dawn 1, but I'm also not surprised as it was bound to happen sooner or later with some people as folks get more adjusted to their clans, or embrace different philosophies.

I'm curious though, does Nanzi really consider Shinsei to be a charlatan, or does he see him as a threat of sorts more?
Much drama and much excitement and Nanzi’s story will not be over, though I suspect Game 3 will conclude it in hopefully interesting ways. Nanzi will always see himself as a hero, it’s how he is wired, but I see that as more Classical Hero, who may do some really bad things for a greater good.

Nanzi will be very much saddened that he never gets to see his Dragon nieces and nephews, family is a big deal to him which will probably only sour him even further on the Dragon.

As for Shinsei, he has seen wise men before claiming to have secret wisdom who just were con artists. Shinsei is different he will admit that, but is he a man worthy of all this respect, he does not think so and the outsize effect he had on others and the Emperor makes him a threat to be sure as he espouses ideals completely opposite to the ones that Hantei laid forth in Dawn 1. That is the Empire he aspires towards, Shiba isn’t his Emperor, he serves him but he is seeing the Kami as weak and ineffectual with just really weak policies that will not grow the Empire. Their last meeting was important though as it gave Nanzi a direction and goal. Maybe he is the anti-Shinsei?
Tyrus wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Nanzi is great fun for me I loved reading your threads and was stoked to see him "take the bait" with the oni stuff. I always appreciate people who can be counter to the group feel and role play those since it causes a lot of conflict. You have some very neat ideas that I am excited to engage with in the coming games.
Thank you again for giving me the opportunity, I didn’t start out going that dark route but damn did it build some interesting story and ideas.

Return to “Q&A”