Tree Talk - The Miyako Q&A

Miyako

Tree Talk - The Miyako Q&A

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:13 am

Finally getting around to starting this thread now that my schedule has freed up a little bit! :D

Quick couple things I'll throw out from the OOC side:
  • This was my first game I played start to finish on Fallenash outside the Hollow Throne universe! (for anyone curious, you'd know me there as your favorite Tortoise mischief-maker Kasuga Asakuro! As if Orokos also didn't make that obvious too lol) I had a good time dipping toes in the Dawn and want to thank the GMs for running a great game - awesome work you all did!
  • That being said, my schedule did get wonky on occasion because of the current situation going on out in the real world and I felt like I didn't get to post as much as I initially thought I would going into this. There were days where I would be totally free all day long and then a day or two immediately after that where I'd be full up on house chores or really long work shifts to the point where I wouldn't be around for an entire day and a half sometimes between work and sleep. I did what I could though and hope I gave some of you something interesting to read on occasion!
  • These are crazy times right now and I want to say that you all are awesome and thanks for all the fun interactions and all the fun reading you gave me of all the great things your characters were doing and to stay safe and stay strong out there~~~
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Seppun Dawei

Re: Tree Talk - The Miyako Q&A

Post by Seppun Dawei » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 am

Cousin!

(I was Seitouna.)
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am

Never had a thread with you! I am bummed by this!
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:31 am

Seppun Dawei wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 am
Cousin!

(I was Seitouna.)
COUSIN! :twisted:

If I had more time, I would and should have definitely talked to you about all the woodcarving work you did: with Miyako being from the woods and even having a bow with a bunch of carvings and artwork on it, it would have been nice to chat on such things and I could totally have seen her picking up such a thing too! I did read you and Kaze's threads together though~
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am
Never had a thread with you! I am bummed by this!
Most unfortunate! Again probably from the crazy moments where I lacked time due to IRL circumstances as I would have liked to have run into Sora at some point if not more than once - as someone from a somewhat Kami-skeptic tribe as it was, it probably would have been interesting to run into you and have a most interesting conversation aaaaallllllll about that!
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:37 am

Miyako-chan! <3

I really liked our scenes together. Two storytellers from different tribal backgrounds, bonding over stories and different tribal traditions. I was very happy when I saw there was another storyteller present, and Miyako was greatly entertaining to read.

I really look forward to where she will go from here.

What was her opinions on the clan-tribes and the Kami in the end?
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:35 am

It was really fun being able to trade stories back and forth and I really hope people enjoyed the translations I did to make them fit into the setting of Rokugan! I've got a nice big book of Slavic fairy tales and fables (stuff compiled together equivalent to the Grimm stuff for those countries) that I thought would make for some great storytelling to share if I could translate them well! I'll say this about Slavic stories though: while hopefully I managed to make some enjoyable reads for folks out of a couple classics, there are some other ones that I flipped through and looked over as potential options that for one reason or another I knew I couldn't make them work, and generally they fell into the following:
  • Waaaaaaaay too long (these were campfire stories I shared, not big long epics, and I was in no way going to dump 30-45 minutes of reading-text that everyone would skip past anyways just on sheer length)
  • Way too abrupt of endings (sometimes these stories are super quick in order to teach a lesson, usually one I didn't find appropriate for campfire sharing since the lesson likely wasn't applicable or was at least unrelated to discussion going on in that moment)
  • Has Christian icons and themes (either Catholic or Orthodox depending on which country the story came from) that were too ingrained into the story that it would have been impossible to translate into Rokugan and have them still mean anything
To start out, Miyako wasn't as Kami-skeptic as some in the Chinsei. She didn't jump all-in with the half that signed up with the Scorpion, but she wasn't opposed either and would at least listen and learn for a while, and that I tried to capture both in her background as well as how she came off to folks. I think in talking to folks like Umeno (specifically about Scorpion stuff since the Chinsei somewhat leaned that way) as well as folks like you (about them in general but Dragon in particular) and Ayumu (about some of them in particular, them in general, and stuff in his background as to why he joined when much of the Isawa do not) she's definitely very much open to joining and serving a clan-tribe and the Kami.

Her hang-up throughout the journey ended up not being really her but her big worry about what happens to the rest of the Chinsei and not wanting not only her but her tribe to be left behind in the New World as she saw it. She really likes her tribe-family but recognizes that there's a lot of change afoot and saw the fact that they were still around whereas many tribes had almost wholly joined a clan already as a Really Big Problem that maybe she needed to solve. By the end of this journey and all her interactions, she walks home with two things in mind: that she has a Voice and can use it to discuss and persuade in the Chinsei and help lead them into the future, and if not that then that she is not beholden to the whims of her tribal leadership like she thinks she is and can very well make her own choice if it comes to it: a lot of her village-cousins did, after all, so why couldn't she if she thought it was the right thing to do?

Does she actually join one, though? On her own? Convince the remaining Chinsei to join one? Well... goals are still in the works. We'll see. :)

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Return to “Q&A”