Fish Out of Water (Ko)

Ko

Fish Out of Water (Ko)

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:22 am

I haven't been able to be as active this game as I'd have liked, but I find this AU setting awfully inspiring for character stuff, so I really enjoyed playing Ko anyway--including all the interactions I managed to toss her into with the rest of you, and getting to bash some bandits and ogres!

Ko was probably a character who'd have worked as well in Dawn 1 as in Dawn 2 (and she partly came out of a collection of notions I didn't end up using for the first game) but in some ways throwing her into an Empire that was already taking shape made her even more of a fish out of water. Not a bad thing at all. I might throw a little bit more about the background/inspo for her tribe in here, if folks are interested or even just for my own amusement--as always with stuff like that, there was loads of supporting detail that didn't explicitly make it into scenes, but which I still really needed to think through in order to hold the character in my head.

Anyway, I probably won't play her again, so I'm happy to answer whatever!
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Jiyo Sora

Re: Fish Out of Water (Ko)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am

What's she gonna ask Shiba when Sora introduces her?
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am

I promise no dissections let alone vivisection. I enjoyed the interactions with Ko. Kind of wish we had gotten the ball rolling on them earlier but hindsight is 20/20.
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am

we only had each other interact a little, which is unfortunate, but RL no Oni is a thing, and I think we tended to be in different locales a lot. That said, I loved watching her in fights and scenes. She could do a breathtaking amount of damage when she wanted.

Any regrets in play?

Also, I said this to Satone, but I'm glad we got to fish you two out. Her story can go on if you choose. Which disadvantage ar eyou thinking of taking? They're all good story.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Very much <3 for Ko! My fellow friend into diving into obscure knowledge about life in bronze age and older. xD

Anything you would've done differently with Ko now in hindsight?
What was Ko's opinion on all the clans and this Empire in the end?
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Ko

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am
What's she gonna ask Shiba when Sora introduces her?
Oh hmm! This depends a lot on *when* that happens. Ko's Obligation to the ningyo is urgent and time-sensitive. If she makes it all the way to the Imperial Capital before that is resolved, she would petition Shiba to send one of his siblings to help them--absolutely, no question.

If it happens after she's made some progress on that goal (which obviously isn't finalized yet, but likely will involve recruiting Akodo's help), then... it's a lot harder to say. She's extremely concerned about how her tribe can find a valued role in the Empire despite their low numbers and relatively low current tech level, so likely those are the big answers she'll be seeking once the problems of the ningyo are solved, but I'm not sure yet exactly what she would want to know from the Emperor in relation to that.
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 pm

Ko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:22 am
I might throw a little bit more about the background/inspo for her tribe in here, if folks are interested
Yes!
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Ko

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am
I promise no dissections let alone vivisection. I enjoyed the interactions with Ko. Kind of wish we had gotten the ball rolling on them earlier but hindsight is 20/20.
I wish too, actually! This reminds me we can still push our D16 scene a little longer, if you like (fight consumed the attention I had for a while). Jin probably would have got *another* chance to patch an unconscious Ko up late on D16, for that matter, so she will have cause to be glad she fell in with the doc with a "no vivisections" policy. :lol:

I should have realized sooner that meeting healer-types under the right circumstances would lead to interesting interactions, and Jin asked questions/responded in ways that surprised Ko into reactions *I* wasn't fully expecting, which is always delightful.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:52 pm

Seppun Chisei wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 pm
Ko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:22 am
I might throw a little bit more about the background/inspo for her tribe in here, if folks are interested
Yes!
Seconded! :D
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Ko

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 pm

Phi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am
we only had each other interact a little, which is unfortunate, but RL no Oni is a thing, and I think we tended to be in different locales a lot. That said, I loved watching her in fights and scenes. She could do a breathtaking amount of damage when she wanted.
I don't play a lot of bruiser bushi, but when I do I'm always surprised to remember how fun it can be. Ko was a pretty bog standard Agility 4 combat build (apart from the extra Forest Killer wound points), but Orokos was kind to her damage rolls until the last few rounds of the ogre attack.

It is too bad Phi was another one I didn't really get to dive in with. Their very different 'outsider' perspectives might have made some interesting chemistry.
Any regrets in play?

Also, I said this to Satone, but I'm glad we got to fish you two out. Her story can go on if you choose. Which disadvantage ar eyou thinking of taking? They're all good story.
Not really any serious regrets other than lacking the time/focus to be able to play more. Ko kind of had to make her own story hooks, which could be a little slow going at times, but luckily she was well supplied with possible ones which I never got close to exhausting.

I do wish I'd been able to finish out the scene with Hantei and see how he reacted to her quest (alas, Tyrus got busy, totally understandable), and to have poked more NPCs like Shinjo and Shinsei, but it was sort of clear Ko wasn't a focal character there, and I didn't have the energy to try to push my way into the crowded spotlight.

Ko probably goes on to her own quests from here, so she's unlikely to return in a future game, although her story will definitely continue! I'm glad y'all rescued us (PM me the thread next time, though! :lol: ), if perhaps a little out of sorts that the front line survivors are the ones to get all the free disads and none of the IC glory. :?

I'll probably go with Doubt, since it fits quite well thematically with Ko's ongoing reactions to the world outside the Lonely Shore (where worked metal is a rare novelty). Speaking totally from the narrative side, she needs to reach beyond her ancestral weapon, acquire a metal sword, and learn to use it as one of the next steps in her adventures. In any case, it's the only one I don't see interfering substantially with the rest of what she's using her Great Destiny to do.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am

Ko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 pm
Ko probably goes on to her own quests from here, so she's unlikely to return in a future game, although her story will definitely continue! I'm glad y'all rescued us (PM me the thread next time, though! :lol: ),
eeep! Sorry, thought Ninube had you there. And I certainly hope everyone in this thing gets a heaping measure of glory and reputation. ^_^ We closed the back door to hell here!
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Jin

Post by Jin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:25 am

Ko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:34 pm
Jin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am
I wish too, actually! This reminds me we can still push our D16 scene a little longer, if you like (fight consumed the attention I had for a while). Jin probably would have got *another* chance to patch an unconscious Ko up late on D16, for that matter, so she will have cause to be glad she fell in with the doc with a "no vivisections" policy. :lol:

I should have realized sooner that meeting healer-types under the right circumstances would lead to interesting interactions, and Jin asked questions/responded in ways that surprised Ko into reactions *I* wasn't fully expecting, which is always delightful.
I'm cool with exploring it more or we can let it lie. I understand combat taking priority so no worries there.

As for his reactions - yeah I'm not sure if they would have been quite as easy going earlier in the game but, by then, he had learned about pre-human races, tried to help smooth things over with the nezumi, etc. So he was much more open to non-hostile non-humans then he might have been earlier.
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm

*resurfaces*

*deep breath*

Couple things now, will finish responding tomorrow!
Togashi Saruko wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm
Very much <3 for Ko! My fellow friend into diving into obscure knowledge about life in bronze age and older. xD
Haha, yes, I will miss those mini-research dives as the Dawnverse's technology level advances and becomes more homogenized! Dawn 1 was hand weaving and other textile stuff, Dawn 2 has been... everything Neolithic (much of which was way more sophisticated than I ignorantly thought).
Anything you would've done differently with Ko now in hindsight?
What was Ko's opinion on all the clans and this Empire in the end?

I really think the "done differently" answer is still just "played more, poked more players and NPCs." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ko turned out to be a character who didn't need any specific sort of PC-to-PC interaction to feel solid enough to play, though like anybody I did figure out cool new things from those interactions. I guess maybe I slightly regret dropping a Void point on LMC, since I've now had two characters with the disad and neither ever triggered it, which feels a bit silly. :lol:

In the end, Ko doesn't have enough information yet to form a definitive opinion about the Empire and the Clans, but she'll learn more on her post-game travels. Right now she's quite impressed with the Crab Clan's organization and standard of living, at least (admittedly they're the only clan whose lands and castle town she's traveled through, which means they have no competition yet).

Ko's attitude toward the Empire was quite different from most of the other unaligned/tribal PCs, though, I discovered. It seemed to me that most tribal PCs either arrived with a Clan in mind, or took initial positions re: the Empire of "take it or leave it" or "what's in it for me?" or even a more combative sort of "what assurances can you give me?" Ko, on the other hand, was more or less grimly resigned to the fact that her tribe needed to adapt if they didn't want to die out, and was mostly seeking some idea of what that might look like and how they might make themselves worth the Empire's while to take in. Less picky clan-shopping, more trying to figure out how to enter as valued members and not a charity case (or a subjugated people).

Ko

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 am

Couple of people asked (even if one of them lives with me IRL and doesn't quite count :lol: ), so here is a quick patchwork of Shore People ethnography, some of which I planned ahead and some of which came out in play.

One of my unused ideas for Dawn 1 was a member of an almost-gone, isolated tribe without metalworking technology, sort of drawing on bits and bobs of the life story of Ishi, that unhappily famous survivor of the California genocide. I pulled that idea out again for this game but then decided playing someone really in Ishi's position (and doing a fair job with it) would be much too dark for me right now, so instead I made Ko a member of a tribe who might be in danger of that fate, but weren't there yet. In retrospect, I'm also glad I went with this variation because it meant I avoided too much overlap with Kaze's or the late lamented Taochusu's archetypes.

Then I stirred in some ningyo lore from 1e canon, because why not.

Notes on the Shore People:
The People live isolated on a rocky peninsula, with steep hills and thick forest to the north, overgrown marshes to the west, and open sea to the south and east. Unbeknownst to the People, outsiders call this stretch of coast the Lonely Shore because it's so rarely visited. (In many decades, or possibly a couple of centuries, their home will be the site of a city called Mura Sabishii Toshi—unless we've changed history too much for that already.) They live by gathering wild roots and plants, doing a little hunting of game and birds in the wooded foothills, and—mostly—fishing and shellfish gathering from their catamarans in the ocean sound that lies between their land and the sacred island a few miles to the south. (If things go according to canon, this island will be Morehei Island some day, and later the sunken Sea-King's Palace; right now it has no name in human language, and it's taboo for the people to spend the night there.)

The people live together in a few large roundhouses, keep no livestock except for some scraggly dogs, and have never learned the secret magic of metallurgy—there is little metal to be found near their home, anyway, but they have plenty of wood and ivory for working and volcanic stone for knapping. Their stories and rituals honor the land and sea spirits they know up-close, Suitengu and Isora and the small nature kami; besides the Sun and Moon, they don’t think very much about gods too big to be their neighbors. They are a tough People, and they mostly keep to themselves.

There used to be more of them, or at least that is what the elders say. If you hike up and down the pebbly coast, you can find the places where other clusters of roundhouses were, though you have to know what to look for; only the shallow pit foundations and some rocks blackened in old fires are left now. Strangers came overland from the north, or by sea from the south (or maybe both?), and carried the young people away as thralls, they say. Then there was sickness, and the fish schools came smaller and less often, and the Moon grew angry and brought huge storm tides that violently reshaped parts of the coastline, sweeping some of the people away. The population of Ko's village has actually swelled somewhat during her lifetime, as people from other parts of the coast abandoned their shrinking settlements, but it's now the only substantial cluster of roundhouses where once there were many villages along the shore.

Social organization:
The People are divided into exogamous moieties--that is, two sort-of-clans whose members aren't allowed to marry within the same group, and must choose mates from the opposite moiety (or outsiders, though outsiders are a rare sight). Moiety membership is inherited from one's mother. Ko is a member of the Starfish moiety; the other one is Jasper moiety.

They live in large roundhouses made of thatch/straw walls and roof over a permanent wooden frame, sort of inspired by Jomon pit houses and the homes of some indigenous people in what's now the southern US. Houses belong to matrilineal extended-family units (which means everyone born in the roundhouse is of the same moiety). Ko's is Pearl Roundhouse, known for their skilled divers. The houses are headed by a matriarch and her closest male relative (usually a brother, sometimes a son or cousin). Beyond that, there's no formal 'leadership' structure among the People; the heads of all the roundhouses in a village might gather to discuss an important decision, or the People might choose to listen to the experienced authority on whatever the subject is, such as a shaman for spiritual matters or the elder fishermen for seafaring questions.

The People do practice marriage, but it's often walking marriage, in which a man spends some nights with a woman in her roundhouse but returns to his own family during the day. Wives can also visit husbands, but it's extremely improper for a woman to actually give birth or care for her children in the child's father's roundhouse. Couples who want to live together (or younger adult family members who just want some more personal space) sometimes build smaller satellite houses, though formally, they still belong to the roundhouses of their birth. Under extraordinary circumstances one of these satellite dwellings might become a new named roundhouse of its own. Given the People's dwindling population, though, this hasn't happened for a while. In fact, refugees from other villages whose roundhouses no longer exist have actually merged with some of the houses in Ko's village.

Stories:
Ko is cripplingly bad at all social rolls, so she was never called on to tell the tales of her people! However, I did have about a million tabs open with stories I planned to draw on if I really needed to--particularly Native American/First Nations legends, especially from Northwest and Northeast coastal people, but also some European selkie stories and the Hagoromo tale. Why so many shape-changers? Well, for one thing, selkies and tennin and bear wives/husbands are cool... but also, the People have some contact with ningyo, and according to at least one canon story ningyo can take human form, though it's apparently not that easy. I decided the People might understand the ningyo shape-change in this way, with a "cloak" or skin of scales that the ningyo takes off and puts back on again (though whether or not it actually works that way is not my call).

No wonder Ko was so appalled by the tale of the bog hags, who use a horrible but superficially similar form of magic. :o

I did include the following very sketch-outliney tale in Ko's character backstory.

Ko’s favorite of these used to be the tale of how the ancestor of Pearl house found a wife: One summer day, a young man went walking on the shore and came upon a marvelous cloth hanging from the bushes, as brilliant and multicolored as mother-of-pearl, as strong as shark leather, and as soft as the finest woven fabric. The young man folded the cloth up and put it in his bag, meaning to show this wonder to the other people of the village. As he kept walking along the beach, he next came upon a beautiful young woman bathing in the shallow water. Without knowing her name, or her mother, or even her moiety, the young man fell in love with the woman on first sight. He invited the woman back to the village to share a meal, she agreed, and one thing led to another, so that the stranger-woman stayed in the village and the young man forgot all about the wonderful cloth. The woman seemed happy among the people during the day, although every night at sunset she walked along the beach alone and came back with the marks of salty tears on her cheeks. Within a year she bore twins. At this, the young man’s uncles told him that he must build his wife a house, since she had no kin of her own, and it isn’t right for children to grow up in their father’s family’s roundhouse. So the young man dug a foundation and raised the walls and roof, and on a proper day, his family helped to fill the house with all it needed. On that day, as the young man and woman were arranging her new home, the woman opened the blanket-box and saw, folded carefully away, the marvelous cloth the colors of mother-of-pearl. Her face became very pale, and she shook out the cloth, wrapped it around herself, and walked out of the village and straight into the sea until she disappeared under the waves, never to be seen again on land or in human shape. Thus the first aunt and uncle of Pearl house grew up without a mother to nurse them. But the ningyo of the sea were interested in the People ever after, and each group would occasionally do small favors for the other.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 am

Thank you! It was super interesting to see where you drew inspiration from and all the thought that went into the background. :)

Theme 2Profile

Return to “Q&A”